Woohooo!!... I think. The cat has paint. [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Woohooo!!... I think. The cat has paint.

Logan
February 19th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Well,

I stopped off by the paint shop today to give em hell, only to find the cat actually has paint on it!

My first reaction was, "It's awfully red..." Not awful in the sense of BAD, but awful in the sense of REALLY red. My brain is telling me that's just cuz it has no chrome or trim on it right now, So I'm just biting my tongue. Nevermind that it hasn't been wet sanded, or had it's clear shot yet.

Ugh. I'll be glad when this is over.

Color? 1998 Chrysler Radiant Red... Inferno red was a wee bit expensive and is a triple stage paint... Total cost on the Radiant Red was $762.00 versus $1180 for the Inferno red.

Scott
February 19th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Its always nerve wreaking when someone else is working on your baby. Logan don't forget to post some pic's of that cat when she's all done and dry.

Logan
February 19th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Will do. On the upside, the cat certainly looks ten times better than when it went in, and the bodyman made a point of how impressed he was with himself...

The list of things done was pretty long, and the only thing they've actually screwed up is they shaved the pins for the XR7 medallions off the C-pillar's... But than can rectified.

Once it's out of the shop, I'll only have the following left before it's street and show worthy:

Rear axle rebuild (w/3.89's, 31sp axles, disc conversion)
Replace worn front discs
Replace rear springs
Re-install A/C
Replace heater core
Buy some wheels and rubber (Weld ProStars on BFG rubber)
Re-install the new interior.

The rest of the drivetrain is 100% complete and ready to roll. I had the original windsor rebuilt with 9.5:1 TRW pistons, stud girdle, highflo oil pump, victor water pump, original heads ported, 3 angle vale job with new hardened seats, Edelbrock Performer RPM cam, RPM intake, topped off with a Edelbrock 750cfm carb. Ignition handled by a MSD billet mech adv dist tied to a 6AL...

Backed up by the original FMX, rebuilt and beefed up with a TCI Breakaway converter, rail tranny cooler and a shift kit. It all drains out the back via a set of Hooker Comps, 2.5" pipe all the way back running through a couple flowmasters...

All with 183 miles put on in the last 6 months. Before I put it in the shop, it was sounding and running pretty damn badass let me tell you... Should be cool..

February 19th, 2001, 10:47 PM
I think you are right Logan, the colors always look way brighter with out chrome and trim, I'm sure it will tone itself down when the cars re-assembled.

February 19th, 2001, 10:53 PM
My 429SCJ convert is bright metallic blue, its painted but no trim at all yet, and boy does it look blue, however Ive seen an identical car completly finished and it looks really good, so dont worry. ( anyways what do I know, I have 2 BRIGHT yellow cougars!)

regards Richard Brown
69-390/4spd convert-med bright yellow
71-429SCJ/4spd convert bright metallic blue
72-351/FMX convert- med bright yellow