Heater and A/C box remove [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Heater and A/C box remove

modifiedmark
April 27th, 2001, 09:44 AM
OK, I put it off as long as I can tommorows job is to reinstall the a/c evaporaitor. Somebody tell me if I need to remove the whole dash or will there be enough room to do it without it removed. Any tips appreciated.

Logan
April 27th, 2001, 04:13 PM
I am tuning into this conversation too, as this is coming up for me too...

Hey, where'd you get your replacement evaparator from? I plan on doing a R-134 compressor this time around...

modifiedmark
April 27th, 2001, 08:42 PM
I got my evap out of a 70 xr7 I parted out. I had it tested and it is ok. My kid was helping part out the 70 and he had the whole dash out when I got home so I didnt see how it would come out with the dash in. I have another used one if you need it. I havent tested it but I belive its good, as it came out of a 69 mustang that my brother parted. I dont belive you need anything really different for a 134 conversion. Just mostly new 134 compatible o rings and a good flush of everything before you put in the 134 oil and charge. I did the conversion on my 85 f350 dsl and it worked good, and my 88 taurus work car works really well on 134. The only thing is I dont think they cool quite as well at a idle. Also AutoZone listed a compressor, condensor and recevier drier as all available and cheaper than anywhere else

1fatcat
April 28th, 2001, 08:41 AM
heys guys
your barking up my alley, I do these retrofits at work.....
when you change over Mark is right you have to use new o-rings,dryer(it holds oil that you can not get out)..
the key to getting them cold though is to put a pusher fan in front of the radiator.....134 runs at a higher pressure then r-12 the fan is must for good operation of the system......you also must use a good quality pag oil .......
Mark I havent started on the seats yet...time is a thing of the past right now....i do have them out and setting on the bench though.....

I will keep you informed..

modifiedmark
April 28th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Well its done. What a pain, I went ahead and took the dash out since I already had the steering column and the dash pad out and I needed to repaint the dash any way. I found out that the 70 evap is different than the 69. the tubes that go through the firewall sit up and down instead of side by side. No big deal though as my box was broken and I just used the 70 box. Logan before you start the job make sure you get a heater box reseal kit as you need to put the new gaskets and door seals in when you have it apart. I think it would have come out with the dash in as long as the glove box was removed. Chris, your letting me down I have my new upolstery waiting to be put on and I'm waitning on your tips. Like how to get the seat backs off.