Mercury Cougar Owners banner

427 Values

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Royce Peterson 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after saying recently I have no interest in 427s I have stumbled upon several.
What I need to know is what the values of the pieces are.
Blocks
cranks (same as 390?)
heads
dual quad intakes
rods
I don't have the particular casting #s on hand. These pieces come from a Fairlane contact I have.
I imagine there is also carbs dists and other 427 racing stuff.
I would like to know values of the items I am forgetting to list as well.
It's my understanding I may be selling these pieces for the owner and need a guideline of pricing.
Thanks
btw as most of you know I am not an ebayer. I prefer to disperse this amongst ourselves/cougar community if I can so "IF" it comes to me selling it I will post it up here first.

#2 ·
Values

Ray there are 427 blocks and then there are 427 blocks. Condition and type are the concern.

First, there are three main types of automotive 427 blocks. These are casting date years, not model years.

1. 1963 - 1964 center oiler solid lifter.
2. 1965 - 1967 side oiler solid lifter
3. 1967 - 1974 side oiler hydraulic lifter

There are also marine 427's that look externally like any of the above, you have to check which oil passages are drilled and what the engine mount pattern is on the driver side to tell the difference.

Finally there are onesy - twosy's - weird industrial / agricultural 427's that don't fit any of the above categories.

If you don't know what the difference is I can't tell you the price.
Also, how far a 427 has been bored and how far it can be bored, how many times it has been blown up, how screwed up was it when Ford made it all are important questions.

For example a standard bore GT-E 427 block with proper 1967 - 68 date code and not needing boring would fetch $2500 - $3500. I sold a .040 over side oiler last year that had been blown up a few times and needed eight sleeves for $550.

Boat motors sell for about 50% of GT-E blocks. Boat motors used low performance heads and intakes that are virtually worthless.

GT-E heads are worth $1200 a pair for rebuildable cores.
'65 - 67 427 heads are worth about $1500 - $1800 for cores.
63 - 64 Low Riser 427 heads are in the $500 - $600 range for a pair of cores. '63 - 64 Hi Riser heads are in the $2000 range for cores.

Steel 65 - 67 427 cranks are worth $500 - $600 for standard size.
Iron 427 cranks are worth $50 - $100 because they are the same as any 390 crank.

If you don't know what you are looking at you can get screwed.

#3 ·
Royce Peterson said:
If you don't know what you are looking at you can get screwed.
Exactly
Thanks Royce
I will referance your values when I get a chance to actually see this treasure chest of Vintage 427 Fairlane Racing gear.
Boat motors used low C heads etc due to marine applications were under continuos load and therefore too much heat if over 9:1. Most of my marine engines are in hi 8s.
As I won't be buying the gear myself only bringing it to market (maybe) I will collect all casting #s and bore measurements before embarking on any sales pie in sky.

#4 ·
Casting numbers won't help much

There are no casting numbers specific to 427 blocks. You have to know how to tell a side oiler from a center oiler by the way it is machined. Obviously there are no 1964 dated side oilers so date codes help some. The engine mount bolt pattern is useful in determining a boat 427 from an automotive one on 1965 and later blocks.

#6 ·
Dual quads

Leon there were never any 428 dual quad intakes. The Low Riser 427 intake fits 428 heads, so will a Medium Riser 427 intake. Some heads work with one better than the other. The Medium Riser intakes flow much better and will fit under the hood of our Cougars.

There are at least five different dual quad factory Ford intakes for the 427. Low Riser, Medium Riser, and High Riser all had dual plane 8V intakes and there were also single plane intakes for Medium Riser and Tunnel Port. The Medium Riser types are being reproduced.

Carbs came in a wide variety of sizes from 550 CFM up to 780 CFM each. All are vacuum secondary. Many are being reproduced.

Look at the repros available at http://www.carlsfordparts.com

#7 ·
Royce

Thanks - figure it will probably be as cheap (term used loosely) to fit dual quads and repro aircleaner than to find missing parts for my ram air set up. Olus it looks better anyway

Given this is for a convertible that is used for cruising, I guess medium riser with 550's would be sufficient

Ray - let me know if you fnd anything in the haul that might do

#8 ·
Ray Sounds like you have a gold mine. I would like it if you let me know what pieces you have as I am rebuilding my 66 427 Galaxie and need some parts, also a spare block would be great. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Feel free to e-mail me. mercurycat21@hotmail.com

#9 ·
Yes guys "IF" I end up selling this stuff for tyhe owner I'll be putting it into the Cougar community first. I need/needed a crash course on 427 stuff so when I do get a chance to view etc I can appear educated.
Anyone want to contribute a list of casting#s I can refer to? I was going to use the BB Ford rebuild book but I have been told its full of incorrect data.

#10 ·
Just wondering, you said a 427 is not a good canidate for a first rebuild, why? What's the diff?

#11 ·
Why? Cause a 427 will cost mega more than a 390 will or even a Bird 428 to rebuild and if you foul it it will be a waste of mega bux plus a 427 is a racing engine more than a street engine IMO.

#13 ·
I dunno Pezz but I would expect about $10K is what it would cost to aquire and rebuild a 427

#15 ·
Casting numbers

Ray,

427 blocks often have no casting numbers. In other cases they have the same casting numbers as a 352 or 390. You have to identify them by the way they are machined.

Heads are easier.

427 Low Riser C3AE 6090-G,H or K
427 Medium Riser = C5AE-F
427 High Riser C4AE 6090-F
427 Tunnel Port C7OE 6090-K
427 GTE = C8AE-6090-J or C8OE-6090-N with 14 bolt exhaust

Intakes often don't have a casting number. If it's an 8V intake its for a 427.

Cranks are hardly worth buying because Scat stroker cranks are so cheap and good. I would try to avoid them as they are not worth shipping.

Same goes for rods, expecially 427 Lemans rods. Unless the rods are new in the box they are best avoided. Eagle makes great FE rods that are very reasonable in price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.