Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Project RoadKill

16K views 117 replies 13 participants last post by  martinbrown637 
#1 ·
With the Panther almost complete I've decided to start formulating a plan for the 68 XR7 we have lovingly neglected since she was smacked by a limb from the ugly tree.

Most folks think she's a parts car for the Panther, when in all actuality the Panther was originally purchased as a donor for Roadkill.

I have a ton of "take off" parts from the Panther project as well as many extra bits pieces from other Ferds that have come and gone.

As you can see we already have her fitted with late model Bullitt rims and a better fender thanks to Brian F. The crunched front left fender will be re-purposed as a patch panel for the right quarter panel.

Injection is a must, so the wiring will be updated again and the EFI re-installed with some upgrades.

Not sure of the stance yet as I have a couple different sets of front and rear springs to choose from. Body is solid with no rust, but it has been thrugh the wringer and is riddled with dents, dings, scrapes etc.

Any and all suggestions on which way to proceed, ideas, themes, whatever would be appreciated. You guys have alot of interesting ideas and I would like to hear them...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice to see the fender put back on a car!

Looks like a project for sure. If I could go back and do it again, I'd have the car dipped to remove everything. I would have have seen swiss cheese on mine.

#6 ·
that one actually looks pretty straight and clean for the most part.......from a rustbelt point of view! Nice to see you aren't getting bored Bill! LOL

#7 ·
Starting on the Roadkill's body mods... going for a Thomas Crown look...

Attachments

#9 ·
Well not your typical parts list for a 68 Cougar... Bilstein, Skyjacker, Chassis Unlimited, Cree, Ansen, and lots of DOM tubing... Should be an interesting diversion from the Panther.

#10 · (Edited)
So I have the new roller perches and coil retainers fabbed up using some of Daze Cars roller rebuld kits and some custom made perches. The retainer is a modified TJ jeep unit with 3/8 grade 8 hardware, I added a "wing" just in case but the coil is well retained with the Jeep kit.

The Skyjacker springs are 19" free length and a spring rate of ~430 PPF. The Procomp MX-6 adjustable shocks have almost a foot of travel. Should suck bumps nicely with a little air thrown in at the dunes.

One a side note... Is anybody willing to contribute an upper control arm or 2 to the project? They can be cores as I'm going to use them for prototyping. Hit me up with a cost with shipping to 97051 (St. Helens Or.)

Attachments

#11 ·
Rear setup will consist of flipped factory springs with an additional couple additional leaves installed. The rear MX-6 shocks have a similar stroke, custom shock mounts on the roll cage down tubes. I'll run the Panther's original rebuilt 8" for now, but will be swapping in another 8.8 as soon as I can justify the funds.

As soon as we can get some drier weather Ill start working on the chassis re-reinforcements and cage.

#13 ·
Rear setup will consist of flipped factory springs with an additional couple additional leaves installed...
This makes no sense to me. Stock springs are like a smile, if you flip them, they will will be like a frown, which would lower the car. So, whatchu' talkin' 'bout Willis? :buck:

You could maybe mount the axle on the bottom of the springs like a truck but otherwise, I am confused.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Now I can start bending up the chassis parts and cage. Should come in handy for a couple cool pre-runner style bumpers as well... With the hydro setup it bends 1.25" .120 wall like butter, Cant wait to try it out on 1.5, 1.75" and 2" heavy wall.

#20 ·
K772 screw in ball joints replacing the weaker Ford units. The main arm has been clearanced and ready for the spring perch to be positioned and welded in. Everything is getting boxed/reinforced. Good thing I chose to sacrifice these arms as the bolt holes are cracked/busted and the crossbar cap threads are all but gone...

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
3/4 ton outer tie rod ends flipped to the top of the forged 70 knuckles to give them a bit better geometry and increases their strength. 1/8 steel band is wrapped and welded to the knuckle to add rigidity and meat to the relatively skinny steering arm.

K772 thread-in ball joints replacing the upper and lower Ford units and 5/8 chromoly heims to replace the inner tie rod ends, while .120 wall DOM will be used for the adjusters.

Still playing with using DOM for the lower arm (built these for Panther) but the concept is basically still the same for Roadkill.

I have the opportunity to widen the track width by 2 inches on both sides without altering the suspension geometry too terribly bad. It would match the planned 8.8 a bit better as I plan on leaving it full length and running a slightly larger tire in the rear to maintain the "muscle car" rake and feel. What do you guys think?

Attachments

#23 ·
Haven't checked in on this in quite awhile....... nice fab work Bill! I'm trying to think of something that hasn't been modified on this thing! lol Not coming up with much...... no stone un-turned here!

#24 · (Edited)
So no matter how I cut it the OEM style lower control arms are just not going to work for me... The single pick up point is fine for pavement and a comparatively short cycle, but if she sees any air time that single point will fail...badly

I'll be going with a more traditional A-arm that will have an additional mounting point further forward (like the CPP LCA) eliminating the need for strut rods and allowing a better mounting point for the 30" shocks. The 2 points will be forged poly joints with adjustability for caster and camber. The arms themselves will be 1.25 .120 DOM with attachment points for the shock(s) and swaybar.

To keep things stout, all brackets and mounting points will be 3/16 to 1/4 inch plate. All sheetmetal/unibody will be reinforced with 1/8 plate. Any thoughts?

Tires and wheels will be here Monday... sh!t just got real LOL...

#25 ·
Big brown and the mail lady brought me all sorts of goodies this week...

Pulled Roadkill out of her hole and knocked some of the mildew and pine needles off of her.

Tomorrow we will start getting her stripped down and ready to receive some ground clearance.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Sh!t 'torque you know me, I'm gonna bring down the site's server with all the "fun" I'm gonna post LOL!

Went and bought an 01 Yukon for the college kids today so I didn't get much done on the ol' Roadkill. We played a bit with spare tire placement and swaybar disconnects... ordered more parts etc...

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Sweet! as luck would have it Pick-n-Pull is having a 1/2 off sale tomorrow and there are a couple fresh P71 Police Interceptor CVs in the yard. The CV PI 8.8 has all the same goodies as the Exploder 8.8 ( correct 5x4.25 pattern, TracLoc, 31 spline axles, vented 11.8" rear disks, 3.55 ratio, forged center section, big 3.25x.25 wall tubes, etc.) but its 4" longer so my front and rear track widths will be better matched and alot more stable at speed. I may add a truss just for craps and chuckles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.