Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Trick Flow heads

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  woodsnake 
#1 ·
I bought a pair of trick flow heads back in 05, while I was deployed, and in Germany.
These last few weeks, I have been getting my poop all in one sock, so that I can finish the build of my 69 Cougar.
The pair of heads that I bought had one bad valve in one of the heads, from the factory.
The only reason I know this, is that the guy who did the rest of the machine work on my block told me about the problem.
Today, I tried to bolt these same heads onto my block, using head studs, instead of the stock head bolts, and I found that they didn't fit.
It seems that the pair of heads I bought also have about a 1/32nd of material that prevents them from fitting on the half inch head bolts that come stock on a W.
Did I get a bad pair, or is this pretty common? I know that they sell a 'bushing' to fit all heads on both the 289/302 and 351W block. It seems to me that the heads should have slid straight onto the head studs with no interference. As it is, I will have to either spend some time with a round file, or take them back to teh machine shop for a quick hole enlargement.
is this a common problem for new, aluminum heads? I mean they are 5 years old, but still straight out of the box....What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
The 289/302 uses a 7/16 head bolt while the 351-W uses a 1/2 head bolt. Trick Flow machines, or says they do, all their heads at 1/2 and you need to use a bushing if you plan to use them on a 289/302. If I were you I would contact Trick Flow and explain the situation, who knows they may help you even if the heads are 7 yrs old. At the worst you will be where you are right now.

David

#3 ·
HUH? They should have been just fine on your W though? The only difference is the size not the location as far as I know.....it sounds like something is off or a bent stud perhaps? If you have to do something I would have a machine shop do it. A call to to TF sounds like the best first move though.

#4 ·
It took another four hours out of my day yesterday, plus another 43 dollars, to get the holes "finish" drilled.
I just got a bad pair of heads, from the factory. But, the new valve is in, and the heads are
on the car.
After I drop off the car this week, I will send TF the bad valve and a nastily worded three page letter, explaining why their product sucks.

#5 ·
AMEN to that! Not what I would have expected from them.....send them a copy of the bill too

#6 ·
Auto part Machine Transmission part
Auto part Rotor Tool accessory Machine Engine
Auto part Engine Rocker cover Automotive engine part Transmission part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Windshield Automotive window part
So, here are some shots from the assembly...
Crank and bock from machine shop, two piece eccentric, and holes for roller cam assembly, as well as my VIN stamped into the block.

#7 ·
Make sure to mount the crank - even if it's loosely for storage until you have to time to install it and never stand them on end. They distort pretty quickly in a short period of time without support. Looking good!!

#10 ·
I always heard you were supposed to store a crank standing on end. Not true?

#8 ·
Auto part Engine Fuel line Suspension Suspension part
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Here is a shot of the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch. Marking out the location was at least as hard as reaching in to drill the hole. WHAT A PITA!! Glad it was only once. The next is a shot of the assembled spider and dog bones for the retro roller cam. And of course, the married engine and transmission, waiting to go into the car. As things stand, the engine and trans are installed, sitting in the car, sitting in a storage unit in Colorado. I had to get a different trans cross member, as the one I bought on Ebay in fact did not fit as described. So I bought the tubular piece. I still have to measure for pushrods, as the ones that came in the cam kit are supposed to be now too short. So I will measure, and confirm the length that I need. I also don't have the studs for the rocker arms, as they somehow got packed away, with the rest of the house. Bummer, that.....
I am still in Disney, FLA, until probably the first of the year, when I head back to Colorado, to look for a real JOB..
I just wanted to take a minute in between things here and post some pictures....

#9 ·
Crank, rods and pistons are all safe in their new home, just the valve train needs finished..

#11 ·
Lookin' good, Wood!

You're gonna love the retrofit roller cam! No worries!

#12 ·
I hope so..I agonized over how much cam to buy, especially after I found out I bought the "wrong" heads....But I think, even with only the 170 TF heads, the 3.89 rear end gear will work nicely with the .513 lift....I just want to hurry up and get home so I can finish the assembly.

#13 ·
Fuel line Auto part Pipe Automotive fuel system Rust
Auto part Vehicle Rust Wheel Engine

Another couple of views of the installed master cylinder. I'm thinking this is MUCH easier, with the engine out of the way. But it might not be all that bad, either, if you have a small child, or tweenage girl around, with small hands....

#15 ·
Here is the reply from Trick Flow.
"We have a 90 day warranty against workmanship and machining on the heads. Being you purchased them 7 years ago there is nothing I can do for you. The heads do not come drilled for 1/2" bolts. Yes they are half way drilled for them just in the case you are running them on a 351 where it requires the 1/2" bolt, but the heads are drilled for the 7/16" bolt that the more common 302 uses. It is stated in the description of the heads that they are drilled for 7/16" bolts."

So there you have it. Nothing on the valve either. So, mark against TF heads....

#17 ·
I just wish I had been able to get it to "run" before I left Idaho. I have no real idea when I will get back to it now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.