Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Steering Wheel Replacement

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  badcatt 
#1 ·
What advice can anyone give me in reference to replacing the steering wheel on my non-power sterring 67 base model? My wheel is VERY cracked and broken. The horn pads cleaned up pretty good but not great. The Cougar emblem is okay except for one small crack. Is there a steering wheel anyone has used that is a good replacement for the stock wheel that won't break the bank to buy? No wood rimmed $500 units. Just a good replacement whell in the $100-$150 range or less, if possible. It wouold be nice if there was a wheel that you could attach the Cougar emblem to that would look right. Any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
I like the '70s vintage Ford "Sport" steering wheels, myself. They used to be a fairly common salvage yard part, (and you might still get lucky) but are more of a swap meet/ebay item these days.
A quick ebay search turned one up: Item number 110276534587. There are probably others. They look at home in a vintage car, the center emblem can be changed with a little creativity, and they aren't flimsy like some aftermarket wheels.

From the auction:

(I know nothing about this seller. Usual disclaimers apply.)

I haven't tried one on a '67, but they fit every other late 60s, early 70s Ford I've tried one on.

Beware of wheels from '79 up Mustangs and Capris. They look the same, but don't have the rings on the back for the horn contacts like the ones from Mustang IIs, Pintos, Mavericks and Torinos.

In fact, I'd ask the seller for the one above for a picture of the back side of the wheel to just be 100% sure its the right style, if I was seriously considering buying it.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I have this exact same wheel, been saving it to put onto my 1968 XR7.

What does the back need to look like?

#6 ·
I tried using one of those Sport wheels on my 69 XR 7 but it didn't work. The bushing in the center with the splines would not allow the wheel to go on the shaft far enough to allow the horn contacts to touch the slip rings. I was able to make one work in my 72 Montego though.

I hava a couple at home. If you want to buy and try one you are welcome to it.

#8 ·
I have the right wheel, then.

#9 ·
The hard part is finding a good horn switch for thes Sport wheel. It was discontinued by Ford a long time ago, and used ones found in wrecking yards are usually very brittle and broken. These wheels can be found in Pintos, Mustang IIs, Granadas, big Cougars, Thunderbirds, some Mavericks I think and LTD IIs. Spokes can be brushed metal finish or black, the rim can be molded plastic or leather covered. The leather ones have a nice feel to them.

#10 ·
This is the same wheel that I got from you Scott. I think I traded you an instrument cluster for it.

#11 ·
When using this wheel on a 69 and earlier column the center of the wheel is a bigger diameter then the column.

This is what one looks like on a 69 Column.

This is what one looks like on a 70 Column.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.