Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Ford's Cleveland Engine Plant Closes Today (and: How Cool is This?!)

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mo2872 
#1 ·
#2 ·
What other engines were built in that plant, other than the Cleveland?

#3 ·
302, 4.9L (300-I6), 351M/400, and a bunch of newer stuff like the 3.0 Duratech V-6,...

#4 ·
That's POOPY! Why is Ford shutting down another manufacturing plant?? New construction else where? America can't afford much more of this...

#7 ·
AND the foundry where they actually made the cast iron for the blocks is already torn down.

#8 ·
Anyone have a copy of today's "The Plain Dealer" newspaper (Cleveland area)?? I would like to obtain a printed copy of the article under discussion.

Thanks,

Bob

#12 ·
I think tightening emission standards and the length of the engine killed the 300 six. Sure was a great engine, all torque all the time. Back in the day I watched a 300 six in a bronco out pull all other trucks in the stock class. Also watched a short rail dragster turn low 9's running a 300 six with custom cylinder head made out of two BBC heads. The only weak points were the timing gears and they did not take well to thick oil in cold climates. I think the oil passages were on the small side and 10w30/10w40 starved the rod and main bearings.

Bill

#10 ·
Wife drives a 2010 Flex with the Ecoboost...... I LOVE that engine. It will put you back in the seat when flooring it at 70MPH. Very quick! And the flex is a heavy fat pig!

#11 ·
Yeah - that ecoboost is a ton of fun. VERY impressive torque in mid to upper range. I drove a flex when they first came out and passing cars on 2 lanes was not a worry at all - it was a blast. (Even if it is an ugly shoebox). I had that thing stuffed with about 15 computer boxes and a bunch of tools, and my suitcase. A ton of room in it! If I were loooking to own a family truckster - that is a good candidate IMO (the two tone black/silver looks decent)

#13 ·
My Bro bought the black and silver Flex with the ecoboost 6, 22" wheels and the whole works. It does look pretty slick although not for me.

#14 ·
Here is a composite of the three main Cleveland engine plant buildings I used for our Club's calendar. Two weeks before the casting plant became dust. The local story is Ford payed around $15mil for the tear down but should get $19mil for all the scrap.
Boss 302s were also built there. For some reason there was a lot of Boss inline carbs always popping up in the Cleveland area????
Ford does not cast any blocks or parts anymore, outsourced to warmer weather!

Ford motor company Sport venue Logo Sky Banner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.