Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1967 Cougar EFI swap engine rev and idle

Tags
efi swap
5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Rcarter85 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Sounds real nice! Now what does it sound like with exhaust? I always worry about running open headers and not hearing something bad in a new engine. Also, the idle is set a little high, no? Will it idle lower? Anyway, sounds great and fast revving.

#3 ·
Yea I had the vacuum off of the fuel press regulator and the TB wasn't dialed in yet, but I can do another video BC I've change the timing and TB so now it idles at 1k.

#4 ·
I have a tuner coming over next weekend and he's going to do a street tune and burn a chip for me. Also, the engine has already been broken in on a stand so all the ping and detonation issues are resolved.

#6 ·
Well my tuner that was supposed to come over decided to be an @$$hole, in short, and won't.tune my car now. His name is Randy Carter in Savannah Ga or Pooler Ga and is very unprofessional to say the least. I do not recommend him to anyone.

#8 ·
PM replied to...But I'm going to copy it here as it applies to the post and others may have a different viewpoint.

There is a reason all of your local tuners wont tune it without a MS. It's much more user friendly and easily modified with with both hardware and software. The same reasons I decided to gut my EEC-IV system and go with the MS.

With that said... LOL... If I were you, I'd piggyback a Moates Quarter Horse on your EEC and tune it yourself. Its pretty much plug and chug, easily tuned and has a ton of internet support. I have one that I was going to use on the Panther but went MS due to the turbo, your NA so its a good fit. Only big downfall is the software licensing as far as I can tell.
Why pay somebody else for a burn every time you make a hardware change? Learn to do it yourself and you can make any changes you want whenever you want and save a ton of money in the long run.

Bill.

#11 ·
My engines already built, already have sensors and harness and it runs... Just need it tuned. Which cost way less than $1600. If it were earlier in my build it might be an option, but its a little late in the game now.

#13 ·
Yea I hear that, but its been a hell of a ride getting this far. I'm not doing any more upgrades or add ons to utilize any kind of software after I'm done with this tune. I have a chassis dyno tune with an SCT 5 position chip coming up next weekend. After its tuned... That's it! I'll buy another car and start another project before I mess with this engine again.

#14 ·
Like Screamin-67 Says, "Built not bought". And this was my first major build so I know what goes into it now... I'll probably just look for a coyote drive train for my next build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.