Mercury Cougar Owners banner

numbers on 351 c

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  The Fab Ford 
#1 ·
fellow cats,
i just pulled the engine on my 68. it is a 351 c. I found the following numbers on the back left side of the block. 4a117181. Do these numbers tell me anything on the block? Also I have a 4v holly carb on it and I am trying to figure what cfm the carb is. I have searched all around and have found nothing to tell me what it is. Is there a particular place I should Look? Does anyone know of a good website wher info for the 351 c can be found?
thank you!

#2 ·
That is a ford VIN stamp

#3 ·
The VIN on the back of your block says your engine was installed in a 1974 Ford product (not Mercury), built at the 'A' assembly plant. I'm not sure where the 'A' plant is, but it is not from where Mustangs or Cougars were built. Mustangs and Cougars were built in one of three plants:
'F'-Dearborn(Detroit) MI,
'T'-Metuchen NJ,
'R'-San Jose CA
The only other plant code that I know off the top of my head is
'H'-Lorain OH where Torinos, fairlanes, comets, t-birds and Econolines, and such were built over the various years.

Other numbers to look for on a Cleveland block will be the casting number and casting date that are located above the starter. These are cast into the side of the block. The engine assembly date will be stamped on the machined surface on the front of the block, just outside the water pump plate on the lower passenger side.

#4 ·
Cougrrcj,
Ok, I found the following numbers where the starter goes.
d2ae-ca and 3h89. I also found these numbers on the manifolds
d20e-9430-ba. I am trying to distinguis if this a 4v or 2v. Iknow I have a 4v carb on the engine. Do you know if I can use headers with out a problem when I reinstall the engine?

#6 ·
The D2 in your engine casting numbers means that it is a 1972 casting.

There should be numbers on your Holley carb's airhorn that we can decode to tell you what size it is.

#7 ·
Exhaust manifold casting number is for the passenger side of a '72 Torino with 2V heads.
2V manifolds won't work on 4V heads, so the 4V carb wasn't factory installed on your engine. What sort of manifold is it on?
Fitting headers shouldn't be any more of a problem than it usually is for these cars, just make sure you specify that they are for a 2V Cleveland.

Jay Williams

68alleycat said:
Cougrrcj,
Ok, I found the following numbers where the starter goes.
d2ae-ca and 3h89. I also found these numbers on the manifolds
d20e-9430-ba. I am trying to distinguis if this a 4v or 2v. Iknow I have a 4v carb on the engine. Do you know if I can use headers with out a problem when I reinstall the engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.