69 Cougar Revival - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 69 Cougar Revival

Re: 69 Cougar Revival

Got an hour in the garage today. Decided I will spend the money now and have the rear rebuilt. Stripped all brake lines etc., will pull it this weekend with the help of a friend and drop it off to my trans shop. Figure better to do it now than have it blow up my first test drive.

FWIW, I would spend the money on the AOD first (unless that is already happening).
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

I second that. I'd have a rebuilt transmission first if you aren't yet tackling that. I'm going to stick with my FMX for the time being. Its clean and shows little clutch disc wear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

I hear ya guys, I want to get the brakes done completely before I tow it to the shop worst case. I could get the rear done, reinstall and finish the brakes. I'm thinking of regasketing the fmx pan and see if full fluid makes it go, just to test the brakes and steering, if the fax is bad, I can tow it over, but maybe I can drive it over too . Either way, the aod is going in, professionally.

Yeah, a rebuilt FMX will cost around 1200 - 1500 or so in most shops, a rebuild on an AOD won't run much more. BUT, you will likely have to have the drive shaft chopped 1" and need a custom trans cross member (easily made). You will either need a TV cable kit - or a valve body that does away with the need for a TV cable (kinda spendy), but worth it IMHO. Art Carr makes the one I'd go for, but Silver Fox also has a good one. Might first ask the shop if they are willing to do a custom job first I suppose! lol The one shop here in town I trust to do trans work doesn't like doing performance and non-traditional jobs...... I have to go out of town to get a guy who specializes in them. I did the last two myself and I think I am done crawling around underneath!! That reminds me I gotta sell that trans jack!
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

My shop will rebuild the aod to any spec, same for the rear end. I need to order the Lokar kit for my edelbrock, crossmember and yoke for the driveshaft to aod. I want the rear done first so I have brakes when I haul it over. I've got a great custom drives haft shop too.

I also want to wire wheel and paint the rear before rebuild.

I'm less than 2 weeks to my wedding and FINALLY back in the garage.

Got the rear built, posi with 3.73s, new seals, stock axles. Got all the leafs attached, rear bolted in, drums rebuilt. The parking brake cable is a nightmare. I attached the end nubs to the drum brake ebrake arms, and now am having a ***** time hooking the cable sheath to its frame mount. I've tried loosening one side then the other, loosening the main cable to the pedal assembly, the pic shown is drivers side rear, looks like about 3 inches of travel is still needed and I can pull the sheathing fully taught about 1/2". When I ordered the cables they were listed as cougar cables.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	1465143939902-1506079881_1465143982769.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	89162

So after looking around, I have a cougar built after 2/69. Guess I need the 32" driver's side rear cable. I order the 133" cable to connect to the passenger side, but does anyone know if I need a longer cable for that side as well? When I pull the lines as taught by hand as I can, I strenuously measured about 4" from the sheathing to the frame mounted bracket. Will the 1970 32" cable solve the problem with some muscle? Why did they change this in the middle of the year...

Now that a busy July is almost over, I have ordered up a bunch of parts; ignition, cables, small odds and ends to get working on the motor and engine bay. I still need to mount and bleed the master cylinder, but I have a refreshed work ethic after wedding mode. Does anyone have any thoughts on going with a Pertronix pointsless system install? ordered up the kit with an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

I think you will like not having to dink around with points........ just be sure to use the Pertronix II and run full 12V to it (before the resistor wire)

OK, so one thing I start and something else in life happens. Ever since after the wedding, I've been working with one of our product companies from the salon, traveling for education, development, you name it. But...brakes are DONE! Holy sh*t...

More progress than I have made in the last several months! Feel like I have to many irons in the fire myself....... dang work gets in the way of fun!

Life in general. Grabbed a roll of copper nickel brake line, had no trouble double flaring it. Tried several attempts to replace the stainless because fittings were the wrong size, what a waste.

Next phase is top of motor. Going to use a performer intake with 600cfm electronic carb. Anyone with the same setup, please post a few pics so I have decent reference to all vacuum lines. For the electronic secondary, where do I sure it in to?

Thread Information