69 Cougar Revival
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 69 Cougar Revival

69 Cougar Revival

Well, here I start. Got my 69 a few weeks ago, knew it had some immediate issues to address before being driveable (brakes, steering, manifold and carb). I want to sort these out of the winter to have it on the road for spring.

First part I hit was the lack of glass, drivers and passenger. cleaned everything, replaced track parts, glued up the windows and now they go up and down minus some miner tweaking still.

Big thing I've jumped into is the rear brakes. Per my original thread "Rear brakes - need help" I've gotten some good advice. Since I started tear down, I need all new brake lines (Right Stuff) and have started to rebuild my rear drums. Come to find out I need to either fix or purchase new backing plates. After looking online, I'm going to look at fixing the backing plates. After going through the hardware the previous owner had installed "10 years ago" it's safe to say all needs massaging. The adjuster cable was 2" too long and the previous dude tied two knots in it to shorten it.

If you look at the picture below, you can see the coiled up lines between the axle and shock, the bracket for the connecting hose is upward and bent and the bracket holding the hard line from front to connecting flex hose is all mangled.

I ordered that bracket form WCCC whose gunna plasma cut out a good clean one for me to re-install. Gotta still get front to rear brake line and the flex hose but already have back brakes torn apart, gunna clean and fix the backing plates, hopefully that will correct my installed hardware issue I am having. On the driver's side the front shoe will not seat properly once all the springs are in. After analyzing the plate, I see grooves. Might as well do axle bearings while I'll have to take them out. All for now, more soon depending on temperature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN0097.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	64698 Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN0100.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	64682 Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN0099.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	64690
    Last edited by dave84; November 13th, 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Re: 69 Cougar Revival

BTW, anyone ever used the POR patch stuff or even repaired backing plates? can't find repro ones.

Grooves in the backing plates should not be a problem, unless they are deep. If they are deep, I have a pair I'd sell.

Back in the day, I ground the "pads" until the grooves were gone and a flat area restored. You could do this as well.

How deep are we talking?
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

1/8" to just shy of 1/4". Different sizes for each pad.

That's deep! Okay, well, I have a pair.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Blog Entries

I know we are talking about some extra expense but have you thought about rear disks? Pick and Pull yards have crown vics and Lincoln town cars with 9inch rear disks. Direct swap. All you have to buy is the caliper bracket. About $90 - $150 depending where you get them. Also the bracket that is mangled is on the crown vic too. I have robbed lots of 9 inch parts from old cop cars. Just another source for parts.

From the pics it looks like a good amount of surface rust from sitting. Por15 will help the rear end and other non moving parts. But the backing plates must be rust free and greasy to allow the brakes to move and not lock up. I have used similar rust inhibitors on the back of the plate but never the front. Not saying it won't work but if there are grooves that deep they are shot. Have a look at the crown vics. Or get a pair from XR7. interesting they are not available. I am going to do a little looking. That same rear end is or was in use up to 2000 I thought. Trucks don't count. Bigger shafts.
    Former Director of Club Services CCOA
    69 Vert H code 351W 3 speed
    69 Coupe H code 351W FMX (Restomod!!)
    69 Vert H code 351W FMX XR7
    2002 4.6 Explorer
    1996 Ford Ranger
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 HO T5
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Good advice! Ya learn something new everyday. I'm coming from a world of 454s and 12 bolt rears so be patient . I will look into it for a major build but will grab everything if I can.

Wolfeman,

Exactly what parts would I need to pull off of the CV to do the swap?
    69 Cougar Convertible M Code 351 4V

Hidden Content

Blog Entries

I will try to find the article but what I understand it is the backplate which is the caliper bolt plate, caliper, roter (Disk). I believe the axels can be uaed or new longer lug studs pressed into the 69 axel. I think it was youtube where I found the video. I want rear disk brakes and am fine with $500 - $600 for a kit. However the kits require 15inch wheels or bigger for caliper clearance. I have the 14inch GT wheels and don't won't to give them up. So I started looking for compatible cars with rear disk brakes that I could modify to fit my 14's. The Crown Vic was what I found.

I will so some looking and post back later.
    2002 4.6 Explorer
    1996 Ford Ranger
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

How about the center section? Is that a cross over piece as well?

Sorry to highjack the thread but do you know if the CV fronts will work as well for a 4 wheel conversion?
    69 Cougar [Project 6T9]
    351W - FMX - 2.75
    Bright Blue Metallic
    Light Blue Decor Bench Seat
    1 of 78 with Trim/Paint combo
    Pictures at Hidden Content

07 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster [Daily Driver]

Blog Entries

The front will not. They use a different front suspension and the spindles are different. Front spindles are easy to find.

Dave, what do you mean by center section?
    2002 4.6 Explorer
    1996 Ford Ranger
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The differentail, housing to ring and pinion, not full axle. I should ask do the guts on 9" rear spread a wide year range , crown vics got posi...

There were large bearing and small bearing axles in the 9" rears - so be sure what you have and what you get when swapping parts.....but as far as the guts go - you should have no problems swapping them. Getting the ring and pinion gears set up properly is no easy task however..... you may want to get a good how to book or have somebody set them up
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

If you are going to go as far as gutting the rear end and install disk brakes, I would suggest an Explorer 8.8 swap... Just sayin'

Bill
    "Hell I dunno... I cut it three times and its still too damn short..."

"It's not a flaw, it's a feature..."

Built NOT Bought...

Hidden Content Originally Posted by ndtorque Hidden Content
    some people can screw anything up .... without trying ....

Thread Information