1967 Cougar build
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: 1967 Cougar build

1967 Cougar build

I have waited a long time to get this project moving, and it is time to get it documented.

I bought this car back in 2010 and it has been waiting for my personal touch ever since. The car has a neat history and I am anxious to get my first "Ford" under way. I bought the car from the step-father of my ex-girlfriend. Funny how life presents you with certain opportunities, right?

This is a car that was originally customized in the early 70s. The story is that Phil (my ex-GF's step-father) customized this car with the help of his father (Phil Sr.) around 1972. Phil Sr. was somehow affiliated with the local Ford dealership and thus they had access to a host of Ford parts. The Ford aficionados among you will spot various, high performance, highly sought after Ford parts in the original car. I won't give away all the secrets, but hopefully people will chime in as they spot the parts.

The theme (or the philosophy of use) of this car is that it that of an Old Skool street/strip car. Think of it as a throw back to the late 1980s to early 1990s "street machine."

As Tony Soprano would say "enough with the preambles..." Here are some pictures of the car as it was when I first got it and as it sits today....

This is the state of the car as it is now. The engine that came with the car is gone and will be replaced by something that I am much more familiar with.

continued...
    Last edited by andrewb70; August 22nd, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Re: 1967 Cougar build

Some of you will recognize this particular engine...Please don't hate me...

I absolutely love the patina on this car and I will do all I can to preserve it...

Stay tuned for more updates as this Cougar gets custom engine mounts with the help of Schwarts Performance and Holley exhaust manifolds...

Andrew

WHY would you do that????? ......

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ndtorque View Post
    WHY would you do that????? ......
    Do what exactly? Bring a dead car back to life?

Andrew

I wanted to use as many OEM style parts as possible. This makes getting replacement parts easier and I like how the newer parts are designed.

When I built my RX7 the swap kit for that was designed around 4th gen F-body motor mounts. I really liked the clamshell design that allowed for good vibration control and at the same time are almost indestructible. So for this build I decided to use the same motor mounts.

The oil pan is a front sump pan from a 04-06 Pontiac GTO. These pans are almost identical in dimension to the stock early small block Ford pans.

Customer headers are not in the budget and from doing some research it didn't look like any stock manifolds were going to work very well. The issue is the width, not only between the shock towers, but also down at the frame rails. The Cougars (and Mustangs) had a rear steer arrangement and the steering box sits right along the frame and creates problems for exhaust routing.

I decided to try the Holley cast exhaust manifolds because they are narrow, tuck really close to the engine and are designed to dump the exhaust towards the rear of the engine. The engine had to be offset a little towards the passenger side in order for the exhaust to clear the stock steering box.

As you can see, the clearance is a little tighter on the passenger side:

Andrew

Blog Entries

I would have kept the Boss 302, but it is your car and that engine you are putting in is a good one. Have fun with it and keep posting.

P.S. I hope the Boss brought a few bucks.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V The money pit.
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    2015 Ruby Red Focus SE Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

I think I am getting sick ....

Quote Originally Posted by ndtorque View Post
    I think I am getting sick ....
    Maybe call a doctor?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by badcatt View Post
    I would have kept the Boss 302, but it is your car and that engine you are putting in is a good one. Have fun with it and keep posting.

P.S. I hope the Boss brought a few bucks.
    The engine went to a good home. I am embarrassed to say how much I got for the engine, but I guess people want what they want...LOL

This car will be cool, have stuff sticking out of the hood, be fast, reliable, and super fun to drive.

The rear end is a 9" with 4.33 gears and a detroit locker. It also has some old style, under the leaf springs traction bars that look like Cal-Tracs. There is a bracket under the axle and a bar that extends forward and ties into the front spring mount.

Andrew

Just so everyone knows, I am not trying to start any flame wars or hurt anyone's feelings. I have been a car enthusiast all my life and have been around many car related forums for over 10 years. I have a 1970 GTO that I have owned since I was 15 and I have built a few other cars as well. This project isn't just about installing a LS engine in a Cougar. Other aspects of the build will hopefully give the members of this forum ideas that they can incorporate in their own cars. For instance, this car will be fuel injected, so I will be installing a high pressure fuel system in this car. If any of you want to do the same thing, you will have a reference point. This car will also get a TKO 600 transmission and a hydraulic clutch release system. I am sure that many of you might be curious about that as well. Since this car will be destined for the street and drag strip, I also plan on upgrading the drum brakes in the front and installing various components to enhance drag strip performance. All of these things can give this community some ideas and maybe some inspiration.

I thought I would post a few more pictures.

The new GTO pan fits these cars like a glove. There is plenty of clearance all around the crossmember. Also in this picture you can see the custom mounts that were made by the Schwartz crew. The U-shaped brackets are welded directly to the bolt on plates that used to hold the SBF mounts. It's a simple design but one that will work very well.

Here is a shot of the driver's side mount:

What I am really impressed with is how well the Hooker cast manifolds fit this chassis. I realize that these manifolds are note early meant for any specific application, but their compact design and rear exit makes them suited to a wide range of applications where room in limited. I also recall that long tube headers don't add a significant amount of power LS engines that are relatively mild. If I want to make more power, I guess I can always turn them around

The manifolds take a 2.5" head pipe and use readily available flanges and gaskets. Here is the passenger side:

Space it tight on the driver's side due to the steering rack, but it all fits:

Andrew

I doubt you will find much love here putting a Chebby engine in a Cougar.
    1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
    1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
    1968 XR7 J code - black/red
    1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
    1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
    1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - red/black

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    So like me...always looking for love in wrong places...LOL

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    So like me...always looking for love in wrong places...LOL
    Andrew
    How dare you put a Chevy motor in a Ford vehicle!!!

It's interesting how many vintage Ford pickup trucks are sporting GM powerplants with no repercussions, but once you apply the same concept to a car, all bets are off. For myself?, I'd love to hear how this project progresses. I'm a purist at heart, and prefer to adhere to factory correctness. For this particular car? Just sounds like there are no bonds or boundaries. Carry on dude! And keep us updated on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave55 View Post
    How dare you put a Chevy motor in a Ford vehicle!!!

It's interesting how many vintage Ford pickup trucks are sporting GM powerplants with no repercussions, but once you apply the same concept to a car, all bets are off. For myself?, I'd love to hear how this project progresses. I'm a purist at heart, and prefer to adhere to factory correctness. For this particular car? Just sounds like there are no bonds or boundaries. Carry on dude! And keep us updated on your progress.
    Thanks for that Dave. (How many 32 Fords have a Chevrolet small block? LOL)

I am actually quite used to catching flack from purists. Back in 2004 when my GTO was on the cover of Popular Hotrodding magazine, the Pontiac faithful were in a huge uproar because I had a big block Chevy 502 in the car. Then they were upset that I installed an LS engine. When I built my RX7, the rotary fan boys got all excited. Their favorite phrase was "you ripped the cars soul out..." The drama never stops...LOL

I have some boundaries with this build, but in terms of engine, I am going with what I know will give me the best bang for the buck. I love the story behind this car and I want to keep these theme very much as Phil intended it to be. The car is full of vintage speed parts, like the compete set of Stewart Warner gauges and the old traction bars.

With that said, how about a few more pictures...

Changing the oil filter will be a snap!

Driver's side engine mount...

Modified stock transmission crossmember. It remains to be seem if it will work with a TKO 600...

Passenger side motor mounts from the front. As you can see there is plenty of room between the manifolds and the shock towers.

Passenger side motor mount from the rear:

Another shot of the driver's side engine mount from the rear:

Overall shot from underneath the car. As you can see it is a pretty solid car and doesn't have any sort of rust issues...

Stay tuned for more...

Andrew

anyone besides me see the towers that probably already have cracks caving in ? not to mention no tourqe box on passenger side . not my car but still dont think its right and the lack of clearance like steering box could become an issue when the engine rocks under acceleration but maybe the mounts will keep it from doing that to think you could of put a coyotee in instead is just kinda sad . have no use for any chevy engines but i guess that just me , ill give a b for creativity and effort

Thread Information