Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Can you dye a seat belt?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Ray 
#1 ·
Can you dye a seat belt? What kind of dye should be used? Does it bleed? My seat belt were black, and now kind of a grey green.

Thanks

#2 ·
Dyeing might weaken the webbing. If it has faded like you say, it should be replaced anyway. There is an outfit called ssnayke-oyl products that replaces seat belt webbing. THey usually have an ad in Mustang & Fords or Mustang Monthly.

#3 ·
I can supply new webbing or we can restore yours email me off list

#5 ·
Most vendors carry paint and dye that is used on hard plastic and soft vinyl. My son has restored several sets. He use the dye for webbing and paint for the hard plastic parts. Paint has a tendency to dry out webbing and become stiff. We bought the dye and paint from National Parts Depot, which has several locations. John's Classic Cougars and Ken's Cougars has them also.
He recently sold two sets on Ebay for over $400 each because of the quality work.

Jim

#6 ·
I clean and redye seatbelts all the time, the best paint to use is the correct 1969 interior color black, available as a dye (in spray can form) from National Parts Depot. Just because it's faded doesn't mean it's junk. I redye every set I restore, and no problems with any of the sets I've done.

#9 ·
SEM makes a great product in many colors.Any auto parts store that sells automotive paint supplies including the one I run sell it. It is more expensive than paint about $11.00 a spray can.It can also be mixed to match interior color codes and shot with a spray gun.

Don

#10 ·
You can carefully pry the plastic buckle cover off, pry both sides somewhere near the middle and the plastic will pop off front to rear you'll then see exactly how they were held. If you have a bad one practice on it before you attempt a good set. But if not just be very carefull the plastic is usually pretty tough and will take some abuse, but if your car is from the south the plastic can become more brittle so be very carefull.

#11 ·
I do not believe the 67 style buckles can be removed, the painted portions are metal rather then plastic and have tabs bent around the chrome. a70eliminator's method works well on any 68-70 belt, though. I use two medium sized screwdrivers to pry the plastic off.

#12 ·
the metal buckles do come apart but its a lot more difficult than the plastic ones, Be careful but get in and pry they do seperate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.