70 restomod
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 restomod

70 restomod

The back story on this cougar. in 1972 my wife's grandmother on her mothers side purchased this car. Before she passed away my father in law asked if he could buy the car from her, as he had always loved it. Well she decided to give it to him and he has had the car since the mid 90's i believe. My wife always hated this car as she was forced to drive to to school as a kid, but now she is very excited to keep it in the family. My Father in law asked both of his sons and they didnt want to take on this project. The pictures of the car he sent to them all made it look horrible, well I am a risk taker so when he asked us we both agreed to at least take a try at making the car right.

My first impressions of the car when i got it, it was a lot better than I expected, the body is really straight just a few issues on the doors and one quarter panel. I knew the roof would need to be replaced. Here is a quick video of the car when i first got it. That was back in November 2012.

a lot of work has been done on the car since then, it has been at a restoration shop for ~ a month now. here are some updated pictures of what is going on.

Floor patched Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20130607_140322_185_zps7d214387.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	36986

Quarter patched and the side marker light to be shaved offClick image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20130607_140405_533_zpsba2809a1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	36994

Motor pulled out Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20130607_140237_486_zps6d77b918.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	37002

and my favorite picture Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20130607_140220_122_zpsd3254ce0.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	37010 the roof cut off! A new roof has been purchased and shipped to the restoration shop.

More progress pictures will be posted when i take them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20130524_180105_525_zps1a23984b.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	37018

Re: 70 restomod

here are 1975 heads on a 70 block, long story short in the 90's my father-in-law had the original heads reworked and they got screwed up, so he threw these on them for the time being.

here is the lifter valley, this is exactly how it looked when i took the intake manifold off

and finally the water pump, im no mechanic, but how does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by erkthejerk73 View Post
    ...and finally the water pump, im no mechanic, but how does that happen?
    If your water pump has a plate on the back of it and you do not see the impellor (I am not real familiar with Windsors), then the gasket between the pump and the timing cover allowed fluid to leak into the cavity where you see the corrosion. If the water pump has the impellor exposed when you look at the back of it, then the cavity is wet and the corrosion occurred because of running water without antifreeze or the antifreeze was very old.
    Last edited by 1969XR7Vert; June 20th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Back in January when it was 6*F i decided it would be a great time to install a rear 4 link from Rod and Custom! here are some shots of it. I will paint it all and redo the undercoating after body work is done, also clean/paint the entire rear end.

Rear housing top mount

everything all buttoned up

rear is slammed for now, im sure i will raise it up a bunch to get the look right

here is a preview of what is going on the front

a full coilover package, disk brake conversion, and rack

heard from my body guy today, looks like he is ready for a few more parts, new copper door bushings/pins, a hood, and for me to get the front suspension off the car so he can weld in the new K member
    Last edited by erkthejerk73; June 20th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

I really really need to find a hood if anyone reading this has one please message me! im in cincinnati and will pick up a good hood within a 3-4 hr drive.
    Last edited by erkthejerk73; June 21st, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Nice !

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

hmmm either not much interest in this or everyone is speechless!

went to the shop today after my lunch meeting was pleasantly surprised with the work that they have been doing.

one of the front fenders all primed notice the side marker is shaved

next we have a great view of the doner roof section after it was cut

and then here is the skin getting a coat of rust prevention

Quote Originally Posted by erkthejerk73 View Post
    I really really need to find a hood if anyone reading this has one please message me! im in cincinnati and will pick up a good hood within a 3-4 hr drive.
    I have 6 or 7 70 hoods sitting here but I am a little farther away. It is a 3-4 hour drive to the Ohio-Pa line from where I am. And however more miles to Cincinnati. If nothing comes up closer and you are interested just let me know.

As for interest in your project there is probably a lot more than you will ever know. Many people just read the posts without leaving any comments. Plus your first post really did not tell us much about your plans. Until you posted with the rear 4 link mods we were still in the dark about the direction you are going with the car. It now sounds like you are interested in making the car handle much better than stock. So tell us, what are your plans?

Randy Goodling
    CCOA #95

4 Linky.
    1968 Cougar: Augusta Green-Black AKA Project Coolgar
    1988 RX7 Conv: AKA Project ShoVanna
    1989 Cougar XR7 SC: Oxford White-Currant Red
    1989 SHO's: Currant Red-Titanium, Titanium-Titanium
    1990 SHO: Electric Red-Sandlewood
    1991 SHO: Deep Jewel Green-Mocha
    1995 Contour SE: Teal-Opal Gray MTX
    1996 SHO: Rose Mist (1 of 58)
    1997 Ranger XLT: AKA Project SHO-NUP
    2005 F150: King Ranch

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by CATHOUSE View Post
    I have 6 or 7 70 hoods sitting here but I am a little farther away. It is a 3-4 hour drive to the Ohio-Pa line from where I am. And however more miles to Cincinnati. If nothing comes up closer and you are interested just let me know.

As for interest in your project there is probably a lot more than you will ever know. Many people just read the posts without leaving any comments. Plus your first post really did not tell us much about your plans. Until you posted with the rear 4 link mods we were still in the dark about the direction you are going with the car. It now sounds like you are interested in making the car handle much better than stock. So tell us, what are your plans?

Randy Goodling
    CCOA #95

My plans are pretty much up in the air still, i like to auto cross so im sure the cougar will see a day or two getting beat on. As for the car its self it will mainly be a weekender. I really enjoy old muscle cars, so i decided to do this one 100% my way, if you are a purest reading this thread you probably will be cringing.

suspension: Front Independent Coilovers
    Rear: 4 link

Motor: Rebuild the 351w block, bore/stroke to 408 (but maybe find a crate motor, need assistance here)

Interior: Up for ideas here, the houndstooth pattern is really neat to me, but its severely worn and needs to be refreshed

Rearend: Currently the car has a 3.00 final drive, i will probably spice this up with 3.73's and a LSD

Wheels: Really looking for some assistance here, i have found a few wheel styles i like, but I dont have a clue what will fit on a lowered cougar.

Body: shaving most of the extras on the car, i have asked the body shop to shave the drip rails, side marker lights, emblems, and roll the fenders.

did i miss anything?
    Last edited by erkthejerk73; June 23rd, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Very cool, be watching this thread

Yes, you missed shaving the door handles!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 1969XR7Vert View Post
    Yes, you missed shaving the door handles!
    yeah i know, just didnt find anything that i liked to replace them with, not a big deal...

Just saw your post and I am glad you are keeping the project in the family. I hope Jenny enjoys the Eliminator we're doing for her. What are your plans for the engine? If you watch our father/daughter Eliminator thread ... you can see where we are headed.

Thread Information