Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What's wrong with this 69 Eliminator?

12K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  katnip302 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I'm posting my first thread on here all the way from Germany. I own a couple of American cars, a 65 Mustang, a 72 Comet and a 67 Econoline.
Currently, I'm looking at a 69 Eliminator which is for sale here by a dealer. The price is 18.9k Euros, which I think could be fair if the car is decent. I haven't looked at it in person, but plan to do so in the future.
Judging by the photos, some things struck me as odd. So I rely on your help to find all bits and pieces which are not correct.

Luckily, the car comes with a window sticker. The VIN 9F91M proves it to be a 69 Eliminator.

BUT:
Obviously, the AC compressor is missing.
The Rimblow steering wheel has been replaced by a standard wheel.
Are these Highback Buckets? I doubt it.
Where is the Rallye clock, is this the correct gauges in general?
The radio has been replaced with a modern dash unit.
The front spoiler is missing.
The wheel well mouldings could have been added later, but are not Eliminator correct, right?

That's the things I have found just by looking at the pictures - and never having seen a real Eliminator before.
Looks like they changed the interior quite a bit? Seems a little strange...

What else did I miss?

Text Receipt
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Coupé
Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Fuel line
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Classic car

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a clone to me too....? (swapped VIN perhaps?) Look at the buck tag on the fender and the door tags to see what they tell you. Looks like a pretty nice cat non the less though......

#4 ·
The instrument bezel and passenger side woodgrain dash panel are from a standard and as you've noted the seats are not high backs (and they should be). But, the block-off above the AC vent looks correct. Like Mike says, check the fender aprons (but can you see the VIN without removing the fender?) and buck tag (on PS side of radiator support). With the things that don't match, I would want to make very sure it was what it was being billed as being.

#5 ·
There is a lot wrong with that car. The Eminger Report indicates that it is an Eliminator. I would match the VIN to the body though.
The air cleaner assembly is not from a 1969, more like a 1971. Factory A/c car, it should not have a 20 inch radiator.
The seats, dash pieces, and rimblow steering wheel have already been mentioned. Proceed carefully.

#6 ·
I would definately take a good look at that car to make sure that it is what they say it is. It appears to be a fresh import (US plates) and you could be getting into anything here with no previous history from the car.
Where is the car located? I am in Germany as well..

#10 · (Edited)
I guess you wil have to wait for someone to approve your post. :D
Yes, same username as on Dr. Mustang...although I don't spend much time there as the people aren't as friendly.
Post the car there and let the wolves go at it.

I would invite you over to check out my Beast, but the painter is taking his sweet time...

#11 ·
#12 ·
tody, take a look at my photos to see what a true M code Eliminator should look like; mine has been restored to true original stock.

http://harrya.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13408160
http://harrya.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12017856

I also suspect it's a clone; there are too many things that are not Eliminator, especially the woodgrain dash, and with no rallye clock.
Super nice Cougar!
What about the mud flaps? Are they true original stock? 69's didn't have black tail light grill? I should know this, but I don't.

#13 ·
This car was for sale on CraigsList out of California in June 2012 for $14.5k

The previous owner said the AC wa removed and the compressor is in the trunk. Supposed to be rust free except for some small bubbles starting in the corner of the passenger door. Seller says he’s owned it for about 6 months and had bought it to restore but had a change in plans. Headlights work but have a small vacuum leak. No body damage. Needs a tune up and the transmission needs serviced.

I had sent the info to the Eliminator Registry, and Dave told me it had been in the registry since at least 1991.

Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't rebodied at some point, so be sure to look it over closely.

Interesting to see that it made it's way overseas!

#15 ·
thanks for the replies so far.
somewhere on the german website i found that the car has been listed since last fall. this would match the craigslist ad.

i discovered a couple of more things while comparing pictures.
what about the taillight panel. chrome trim missing?
center console: wrong lid, broken hinges or just not fully closed?
hood pins are definitely not factory, right?

i guess i will ask the seller some questions and also ask for more pictures.

#28 ·
Someone blacked out the taillight bezels and most of the gas door. That is not correct for a 69 Eliminator.

On the console lid it could be that the lid is warpped or that some of the mounting screws have pulled out of the material. Both are common problems. Reproduction lids are available.

It would concern me that this car has been rebodied. Or at the very least the hard to find expensive Eliminator parts have been removed.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

#18 ·
1. Good question, however, it makes some kinda sense that only the big block cars got them.
2. GOOD ONE! I believe the ribbed is xr-7 only.
3. Correct.

#19 ·
1. I thought hood pins were a option regardless of engine size.
2. Old posts show some Eliminators had ribbed console lids and some don't.
3. The console should be camera case only. Maybe some were and some had woodgrain similar to the ribbed and non-ribbed lids.

Nethier our 351 car or our SCJ car have hood pins. They are not listed on the Emminger reports. Both are listed as having consoles, and are the three rib/ no woodgrain type. Build dates are April 25th and May 19th.

Hope this helps,
Mike

#20 ·
I'm no expert on hood pins and I have heard of ribbed on elims but I thought all the consoles had either xr-7 or standard woodgrain inserts. Was there actually a camara case insert for either 69 or 70, or both?

#21 ·
Was there actually a camara case insert for either 69 or 70, or both?
Good question. I've seen a bunch of Eliminators and don't recall ever seeing a camera case insert on the console.

The Eliminator package didn't entirely eliminate the woodgrain treatment. Decore interiors in both 69 & 70 had woodgrain treatment on the door panels and I'm pretty certain on the consoles as well.

#22 ·
If the console did not get a wood grain insert if would be like this,

Thank you Don and WCCC for the picture. This has the Camera case finish.

#23 ·
Yes, a camera case insert is available in the aftermarket, and a pretty part it is, but I think that is intended to have the smaller chrome surrounded insert installed on it. The question is was a camera case console insert standard equipment on an Eliminator or did they receive the walnut inserts?

#26 ·
The gas door emblem is the same on all 1969 cougars. In 1970, the eliminators got the running cat door emblem and all other 70's got the same that 69's had.

#34 ·
But they sure should have! Yuk on the 69 elim wheels.....

#39 ·
Mine looks the same as Harry's.......had the magnum 500's on it when I got it - nevr bothered to look up the correct wheels either - have no desire to! ;>P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.