Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1968 Cougar GTE for sale!

15K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Jim Pinkerton 
#1 ·
Im not sure if its anyone's on here but I was searching craigslist for parts like I normally am and came across and ad in the Dayton, Ohio craigslist posting ID 3539732882. Cardinal red, black or red interior (cant tell from the photo) wish I had the cash to take a chance on one of these.

#2 ·
this one:

Reply to: see below

email to a friend </SECTION>
1968 Mercury Cougar GTE - $55000 (Beavercreek)

<SECTION id=userbody><FIGURE class=iw>

</FIGURE><SECTION id=postingbody>This is an original GTE Cougar. 7.0 liter 427 FE automatic, Second owner. If you know what this is then you know what it is worth if you can actually find one. I have a copy of Muscle Car Magazine that featured this very car. I also have a Johnny Lightning Matchbox Car that used this car for the photo card. This is super rare and very cool. Obviously no joy rides and no low ball offers. $55,000 We are well aware of what this car is worth and it is a steal at this price. No hurry to sell. Call 937 Three Zero Seven 3548

</SECTION>

#5 ·
I'm guessing the car will sell this time around.

It's kind of funny reading through the old thread about how the lousy marketing won't keep the car from selling. Yet here it is a year and a half later for sale at $30K less.

#6 ·
I bet you are right AL - I think he has it at the I want to sell it price, rather than the I'd like to get price. If I had 55k it'd be gone!

#8 ·
No, this one is a standard. If I had the money, I would have bought it too, even though I am not crazy about the color.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I have a 68 sales brochure and it has an orange GTE on the cover. Now that would be the hot ticket. Maybe Mr. Pinkerton would know if that one was accounted for?

#16 ·
Actually the brochure shows a Cardinal red GT-E on the cover. Yours faded to Calypso Coral - I guess that's not such a bad thing.

#18 ·
I was wondering if anyone remembered this model. I acutally looked at a yellow with black vinyl top and black interior GTE at the Mercury dealer in Fort Worth, TX in late 68 early 69. Only one I have ever seen. It had the 427 engine option. Can't remember transmission type. I wasn't sure my memory was correct since I have never seen another one since.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.