Shock Tower Differences in Years
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shock Tower Differences in Years

Shock Tower Differences in Years

So, replacing my passenger shock tower. Joyful project of glorious proportions...

Got the replacement from WCCC, refurbished it this morning. Removed the old one this afternoon and prepped for installing the new one. Leaving the two side aprons in place to help locate the new tower and will be replacing them both after the shock tower in installed.

Got the replacement bolted to the two aprons and immediately noticed a significant difference in the height of the top section compared to the existing top section on the adjacent aprons.

The old tower is shown on the left, the new one is temporarily bolted in place.

At this point, I am assuming that the new tower is from a different year Coug than mine (67), and this top part is different.

What are my options at this point? I spent a ton of time prepping the replacement tower, not about to do that to another one that would fit and I don't think I can repair the top section on the original tower.

This is a huge issue as this top part was completely destroyed on my existing tower.

Original shock tower:

Replacement shock tower:

Re: Shock Tower Differences in Years

That "new" tower does not look like the tower on my '67. Yeah, that top flange plate is set at least an inch higher than mine. It is not a '69 or '70,....they have a different reinforcing plate which wraps around the entire mid section of the tower. But also '69 and '70 have the higher mounted top flange plate. I'm thinking that tower you have is a tower built after a line revision or could be a difference between San Jose and Dearborn Plants, just speculating. That is not right and I know it sucks for you,.....

2006 Mustang Pony Pkg
    2005 YZ 250
    2002 350 Warrior
    1969 xr7 3 speed
    1967 xr7
    1957 3100
    1947 8n

When you compare them angle for angle, is the only difference the top flange plate and could it be cut and repositioned. One more thing, if it does work out,..do you have frame specs....you'll need them to cross measure the proper tower alignment. Otherwise your alignment caster will be out and it cannot be properly aligned.http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...chmentid=25852 View in Windows Picture Viewer for larger sizes,..so you can read the numbers and special notes or Windows screen magnifier.
    Last edited by 67.5xr7; May 5th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

2006 Mustang Pony Pkg
    2005 YZ 250
    2002 350 Warrior
    1969 xr7 3 speed
    1967 xr7
    1957 3100
    1947 8n

Quote Originally Posted by 67.5xr7 View Post
    When you compare them angle for angle, is the only difference the top flange plate and could it be cut and repositioned. One more thing, if it does work out,..do you have frame specs....you'll need them to cross measure the proper tower alignment.
    Yes, the only difference is the top flange plate.

I don't have the frame specs at the moment, everything to date has been measuring perfectly, but this item I am not so sure of.

I'd call Don and the guys up and ask them....it sure looks not that much different in the pics, but it might be odd enough angles to give you some grief? Interesting to see them side by side - the older one even looks to be a bit wider across the lower portion too...? Can't tell for sure...

Let us know what you figure out - currious to know haw many differences there were now.
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information