Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Trunk floor around gas tank

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jimmy's 67 69 
#1 ·
Are there any new pieces available for the areas of the trunk floor around the gas tank. I pulled the tank out of my '68 today and found that the area across the front of the tank is no longer watertight. It is not real bad but is rusted through in a couple of spots.
If there are not any new pieces available, I do have a shell of a '68 that is not repairable that I could probably cut the pieces from, although they would require some work.

Thanks

Chris
www.theflagsaver.com

#2 · (Edited)
There is a reproduction panel made for the Mustang, it will not fit the Cougar. The trunk area is where the Cougar is longer. Also with your current panel ,..there is a dimple in the middle, at the mounting flange, unique to Cougars. All around it would be easier to find a piece of sheet metal with a 90 degree angle bend and work it to fit. That lip/mounting area is flimsy,..that's why it has the dimple, to give it some strength, replace with heavier gauge metal than original. Hey once the tank is out,..you'll have an easy work space. I would not bother to spend the time cutting it out of a donor. Peck! I'm from that neck of the woods. Good luck and keep your eyes on the sky!

#3 ·
Look for Johns cougars web site I believe he is out of New Holland Missouri www.johnsclassiccougars.com/ He has been hand crafting repro trunk panels for the 67 68 cougar. Some times they are even listed on Ebay. they look very nice. I bought a similar pair made by another craftsman that look very familiar to these. they would work better than the mustang panels. I hope this information helps you. Jim McDannell.

#5 ·
Not that it matters, but his shop is in Holland Michigan. I sure hope he is doing better on his recovery, John is a good man.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy-I have checked out John's Classic Cougars and he makes the panel that holds the back of the gas tank. I need the side on the front of the gas tank. I need to do some more searchinga and see if there is anything out there.

67.5-By dimple, do you mean the half moon that is about 12" wide? Mine is rusted through that, making it tough to make one. The lip that turns down in front of the tank is very solid, as well as most, if not all, of the 90* bend. It is mostly rusted on the flat part that is about 1" wide before it angles up towards the back seat. Making those areas on both sides of the dimple would be pretty simple. After going out and looking at it just now, I think it may be fairly easy to make it in a couple of pieces.
Do you know where Peck, KS is? Where are you from?

Thanks again,

Chris
www.theflagsaver.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.