Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Opinions on damage?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Ankou 
#1 ·
Hallo,

sadly I had to learn on the hard way that the cooper cobras are not worth the name "tire" when driving on wet roads.
Turned me 180degree and straight into a fence. Wasnt going fast (15-20mph).

The result is what you can see on the pictues below.

I now its not easy to tell how big the damage is by looking on pictures, but if you could tell me what in your opinion has to be done and how it should be best fixed, I would be really happy.
No Damage to frame or underbody was done.

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-13758877/IMG_2272.jpg.html

Greetings from Bavaria!

Timon

See less See more
#6 ·
Do you have any friends who are planning to import a car ?

Contact your local club, maybe one of them is. Perhaps for a small fee you can get someone to put your panels in the shipping container ?

In fact, with that kind of damage, I wonder if it'd be almost as financially viable to import a whole parts car yourself, as opposed to having just the parts shipped.

Meantime, do a Google search and contact some European clubs, maybe someone will have the parts you need closer to home.
I know there are a lot of Cougars in Scandinavia.

#7 ·
Looks to me that the quarter could be fixed. Not sure on the door. I have seen worse fenders fixed also. Just have to find a real body man not some hack.

#8 ·
The 1/4 can definitely be repaired. Just needs a slight pull first. I would not skin that 1/4. Worse case, if you're really stuck and have a good body man, you could pull that door and repair as well.

#11 ·
You are not going to believe this - I just bought a car from a guy that has every part you need to fix this thing back up.....including quarters cut out beyond what you would need really.....shipping would be a killer though! Let me know if your interested I will put him in touch with you. PM me your email address

#12 ·
find a good metal man and all that you have is fixable. Find some old timer in a small town .....

#14 ·
Hallo,

wow so many replies. Thanks a lot.

Seems like the over all opinion is that a good body man can fix it. Same said a good friend of mine who has some experience in body work.
So I hope I can handle it without any big sheet metal parts. Would save a lot of time (shipping a container takes long) and money.
But thanks a lot for the offer bad69cat. I will come back to you if I really happen to need sheet metal.

But first of all I have to wait what my insurance company will pay. Hope I will get enough money for the major repairs...
a good paintjob is very expensive here...

@Fastbackandy

Thx for the link. Sounds like a good solution for me. Added it to my favorites :)

@ceedoubleyou

You are right, there arent many cougars here... havent seen another '70 cat so far!

Thx a lot to you all!

Hope my cat will get back on road as fast as possible!
Had no time to test the new camshaft properly and above all I want to really road test my new borgeson steering.

Greetings!

Timon

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.