Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Cougar Funny Cars!!!

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Sunroof69 
#1 ·
#6 ·
#7 ·
Here`s a question,
Since all the great and rare cars are being found and restored, has any funny car bodies or full race cars ever been found? I mean we see alot of great pictures and stuff online but it be interesting to see someone really find a rare piece of history .
thanks
pat

#8 · (Edited)
Yes. I know of at least one Cougar funny car, since I saw it at the Cougar East Nationals back around '94 in Holland, MI. It was a nicely restored orange 1st gen Cougar, with hillborn style injection, iirc. Looking at some of these vintage photos, it may have been the 'Turncoat' car and/or the 'STP' car. Hopefully, someone here owns that particular car or knows about it.

This is the car I saw at the East Nationals, or a dead ringer for it.
http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/d...68_cougar_funny_cars/turncoat_cougar_68_.html

#9 ·
There are a number of funny cars, fuel altered, A F/X, and Super Stock cars still floating around. A number of them are in private collections and never shown to anyone besides these owner's guests.

Many of these cars were dragged out of scrap heaps due to the foresight of some forward thinking individual. In the 60's drag racing evolved so fast from classes like super stock that they looked at last season's (or last month's) chassis or car the way we look at a 28k modem.

I've seen a lot of weird stuff still floating around there unrestored and unpublicized. So, if you pick a particular car that you'd like to know about and start digging, you'll be surprised at where it takes you and what is true vs what is just plain old ignorance or BS.

#11 ·
Well i believe that The Finagler Cougar was undergoing a torough restoration a few years ago, not sure it it's finished by now, i think i have some pics of it during the resto, and i also believe that the Fast Eddie Schartman 68 Air Lift Rattler was for sale a year ago or so, with a new buildt Logghe copy chassis, but in need of paint, the body was complete, but also need paint, not sure on my memory here, but i seem to remember it was on sale due to owner passed away, i had a link to it's listing, but that listing is now gone, it was reasonable priced, and if i had had the cash at that moment, i would have bought it

#12 ·
Those are some great pics!! I love the SOHC cammer funny cars. What engine was used in the "Wild Breed" funny car? Does not have the typical 427 cammer or Boss 9 plug placement. Was this a..... gulp......Mopar Hemi powered Cat? I'd love to have one of those old cammer funny cars! Talk about cool Cats!!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.