how come my instrument lights and gas gauge dont work?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how come my instrument lights and gas gauge dont work?

how come my instrument lights and gas gauge dont work?

i have a 68 and a 69 cougar. on both of them the gas gauges dont work and the instrument lights dont work. my 68 has a new tank and sender so I assume it is an electrical or fuse problem? if someone has some insight that would be a great help...
    -68 cougar, DGS, 302 AT, front disc brakes and flowmasters, orig. black CA plates
    -72 gto 400, rusty back window.
    -88 5.0 coupe. wont stay idling at a red light but will get sideways at the drop of a hat

Sounds like a bad ground on instrument lights its grounded right under the clusters 1 screw in each you will see them easy maybe lose or remove them little sanding then try them see if it worked.had the same problem with my dash lights

The instruments lights go thru the headlight switch and a bad switch will cause this. Run a jumper wire to the instrument light fuse and see if the lights come on. If they do, it most likely is the switch OR some dummy
    has cut the double grey wire plug connection going to light the original radio to install and light an aftermarket radio. They cut the wires at the plug to power and light the new radio not realizing that the other grey wire goes back to the dash lights. I believe the current flows from the headlight switch, to the fuse box, to the radio light and then back over to the instrument panel lights. I use a Standard brand light switch for a 1978 T-Bird I believe #251 or #351 and use the dash spacer broken off the old switch when I install it in my Cougar.

The gas gauge sender is most likely a Mustang single prong sending unit and usually the sending unit is the culprit. Make sure if your cars have low fuel light that the single prong Mustang gas gauge sender is pluged in the correct hole on the 3 hole Cougar low fuel connector to move the gas gauge.

Hope this helps...
    1969 428 Ram Air CJ XR7 Convert--blistering yet elegant--my favorite
    1968 390 XR7 GT--No Vinyl Top In Legendary Lime & White 390 GT XR7 No Vinyl Top
    1968 390 XR7 GT--No Vinyl Top in White/burgundy
    1970 Grab Blue Eliminator 428 SCJ Ram Air 4-speed 3.91 Drag Pak'd...fastest pure stock I've driven
    1970 Eliminator 351C 4-speed, Grab Green LA car w/black deluxe
    1968 GTE 427 Red w/white deluxe--Restoring--Dream Car Since 16!
    1969 428 Ram Air CJ XR7 Convert--Burgundy/Wht...solid project...
    1969 White Eliminator 428 CJ Ram...the 2nd dream
    Shelby Mustang X 5
    1970 Mustang Boss 302--Factory installed oil cooler 4.30 Drag Pack Traction Lok...45K super original
    1970 Mustang Boss 302 Projects: Gold 3.50 Shaker & Gold 4.30 Detroit Locker & Orange Shaker 3.91 & Orange Shaker 4.30 Detroit Locker
    1969 Burgundy 302 Ranchero...super original parts hauler with AC added
    1970 RoadRunner...Orange 383 Magnum, Pistol 4-speed...beep, beep Vroom! Great fun!
    1969 Mach 1 351 4V, discs, air, PS, AM/FM...sweet!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information