Steering Wheel Replacement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering Wheel Replacement

Steering Wheel Replacement

What advice can anyone give me in reference to replacing the steering wheel on my non-power sterring 67 base model? My wheel is VERY cracked and broken. The horn pads cleaned up pretty good but not great. The Cougar emblem is okay except for one small crack. Is there a steering wheel anyone has used that is a good replacement for the stock wheel that won't break the bank to buy? No wood rimmed $500 units. Just a good replacement whell in the $100-$150 range or less, if possible. It wouold be nice if there was a wheel that you could attach the Cougar emblem to that would look right. Any ideas?

I like the '70s vintage Ford "Sport" steering wheels, myself. They used to be a fairly common salvage yard part, (and you might still get lucky) but are more of a swap meet/ebay item these days.
    A quick ebay search turned one up: Item number 110276534587. There are probably others. They look at home in a vintage car, the center emblem can be changed with a little creativity, and they aren't flimsy like some aftermarket wheels.

From the auction:

(I know nothing about this seller. Usual disclaimers apply.)

I haven't tried one on a '67, but they fit every other late 60s, early 70s Ford I've tried one on.

Beware of wheels from '79 up Mustangs and Capris. They look the same, but don't have the rings on the back for the horn contacts like the ones from Mustang IIs, Pintos, Mavericks and Torinos.

In fact, I'd ask the seller for the one above for a picture of the back side of the wheel to just be 100% sure its the right style, if I was seriously considering buying it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by cj750; August 3rd, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Here's a Grant on ebay with buy it now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercu...mZ130243774999
    Last edited by catman; August 3rd, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add info
    catman

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cj750 View Post
    I like the '70s vintage Ford "Sport" steering wheels, myself. They used to be a fairly common salvage yard part, (and you might still get lucky) but are more of a swap meet/ebay item these days.
    A quick ebay search turned one up: Item number 110276534587. There are probably others. They look at home in a vintage car, the center emblem can be changed with a little creativity, and they aren't flimsy like some aftermarket wheels.

From the auction:

(I know nothing about this seller. Usual disclaimers apply.)

I haven't tried one on a '67, but they fit every other late 60s, early 70s Ford I've tried one on.

Beware of wheels from '79 up Mustangs and Capris. They look the same, but don't have the rings on the back for the horn contacts like the ones from Mustang IIs, Pintos, Mavericks and Torinos.

In fact, I'd ask the seller for the one above for a picture of the back side of the wheel to just be 100% sure its the right style, if I was seriously considering buying it.

Good luck!
    I have this exact same wheel, been saving it to put onto my 1968 XR7.

What does the back need to look like?

1968 XR7 J code 5 speed
    1968 Mustang GT/CS 302-4V

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW---Whata ride!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post

It needs to look basically like the wheel you have now with two copper rings to contact the two copper spring loaded studs protruding from your turn signal switch.

I tried using one of those Sport wheels on my 69 XR 7 but it didn't work. The bushing in the center with the splines would not allow the wheel to go on the shaft far enough to allow the horn contacts to touch the slip rings. I was able to make one work in my 72 Montego though.

I hava a couple at home. If you want to buy and try one you are welcome to it.
    "Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos"

This is a SERIOUS addiction. There is no patch. There is no gum. You're stuck with this one.

"I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability." - Ron White

1969 XR 7 Coupe 351W, Meadowlark Yellow/Saddle
    2011 Fusion SE I4 6-speed auto with Appearance Package, Silver
    1981 Honda CB900F - Original owner
    2014 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 GDI Oxford White
    My other 1200 cars are 1/25 scale

Quote Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post

Basically just like your stock wheel. Two metallic rings, insulated from each other. Here's what the wrong one looks like:

And here's the one that works:

As you can see, its hardly changed from what was used on this rim-blow wheel:

Under the center pad of the "good" wheel will be wiring and contacts to make a connection and blow the horn when the pad is pushed. Under the pad of the Fox-chassis version is just empty space.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Smile

I have the right wheel, then.

1968 XR7 J code 5 speed

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW---Whata ride!!!"

The hard part is finding a good horn switch for thes Sport wheel. It was discontinued by Ford a long time ago, and used ones found in wrecking yards are usually very brittle and broken. These wheels can be found in Pintos, Mustang IIs, Granadas, big Cougars, Thunderbirds, some Mavericks I think and LTD IIs. Spokes can be brushed metal finish or black, the rim can be molded plastic or leather covered. The leather ones have a nice feel to them.
    "Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos"

This is a SERIOUS addiction. There is no patch. There is no gum. You're stuck with this one.

"I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability." - Ron White

1969 XR 7 Coupe 351W, Meadowlark Yellow/Saddle
    2011 Fusion SE I4 6-speed auto with Appearance Package, Silver
    1981 Honda CB900F - Original owner
    2014 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 GDI Oxford White
    My other 1200 cars are 1/25 scale

Quote Originally Posted by yeloxr7 View Post
    The hard part is finding a good horn switch for thes Sport wheel. It was discontinued by Ford a long time ago, and used ones found in wrecking yards are usually very brittle and broken. These wheels can be found in Pintos, Mustang IIs, Granadas, big Cougars, Thunderbirds, some Mavericks I think and LTD IIs. Spokes can be brushed metal finish or black, the rim can be molded plastic or leather covered. The leather ones have a nice feel to them.
    This is the same wheel that I got from you Scott. I think I traded you an instrument cluster for it.

1968 XR7 J code 5 speed

Blog Entries
    When using this wheel on a 69 and earlier column the center of the wheel is a bigger diameter then the column.

This is what one looks like on a 69 Column.

This is what one looks like on a 70 Column.

See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information