Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Cougar identification numbers

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  leonbray 
#1 ·
Heya people, I'm new to this place. I have recently gotten myself a 67 cougar. Nothing special, just a 289, hard top, no A/C, its pretty much a base model, doesn't even have nice rims, but it will some day ;-)

So yeah, the plan is to get this beast roadworthy again, which isn't going to be to hard. But seeing as I have everything torn apart right now, i'd like to check the numbers on it. As far as I know the engine is orriginal, along with the transmission, but I just want to check. My first problem is finding where the numbers on the block actually are, I can't find them for the life of me, between all the crap built up on the block and me not knowing where to even begin to look, so where would I begin my search? I got the numbers off the transmission, which I don't have a clue as to what they mean.
The next thing is, if/when I find the numbers, how do i find out if they are the respective ones for the car?

#2 ·
Welcome young Bob from Canada

I would verify that the intake manifold first.

Do you have an A code 289-4V or a C code 289-2V?

The fifth letter in your Vehicle Identification Number is the engine designation.

7F91A or 7F91C.

There should be a casting number and date code on that intake manifold.

#3 ·
This one is a 7F91C. (7F91C5291013 is the full VIN)
The number on the manifold is C6OE-8426-A
Transmission number is C6AP-7DO27-C

The transmission has C6 in the number, I thought these things had c4's? But does that mean its got a c6 or something? Like, I have no idea what to do with these number to get them to tell me a bit more about my car.

#4 ·
Welcome to the madness.
C6 is the date code. C for 1960 and the 6 for 1966. D0 would be 1970.
C code in the VIN is for 302 2V (2 barrel)

James

#7 ·
I haven't got a clue

That has revealed an interesting issue here. The number I put in that previous post was the VIN off of the ownership. I went and looked in the engine bay and checked the number, and the ACTUAL number is 7F91C529013. It seems the difference between the number on the car, and the ownership is that the number on the ownership has an extra '1' in the production number, after the 529 part. So it seems that somewhere along the line someone has messed up, and it looks like I may have a bit of paperwork on my hands now...

#6 ·
C code = 289 2v
F code = 302 2v

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.