Reproduction Parts Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Parts Forum

Reproduction Parts Forum

Hello MercuryCougar.net,

I am wondering if it is possible to establish a forum for Cougar reproduction parts rather than needing to look around in the parts for sale sections. Then there can be discussion about how the parts work, their quality, suppliers, manufacturers etc. Maybe there is already an area for the reproduction parts that I missed.

Thanks,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by silvercat View Post
    Hello MercuryCougar.net,

I am wondering if it is possible to establish a forum for Cougar reproduction parts rather than needing to look around in the parts for sale sections. Then there can be discussion about how the parts work, their quality, suppliers, manufacturers etc. Maybe there is already an area for the reproduction parts that I missed.

Thanks,
    George

I second that motion. The best part would be, "what mustang parts fit cougar.
    http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u276/GrooperTrooper/

69 XR-7 M code HT; going to go restomod in Comp Orange

69 XR-7 Q code HT "Q Ship"

i think that would be a useful reference also.

i just bought this...
    Cougar Parts Interchange Manual 1967 1968 1969 1970

"Ford Parts Interchange Manual" by Paul A. Herd.
    This book is the source for Ford parts interchanges. Many Ford parts, from engines and alternators to body panels and door handles, are interchangeable among models and makes. The Ford Parts Interchange Manual allows you to look up a part for your 1959-1970 Mustang, Fairlane, Torino, and Mercury Cougar or Cyclone and find which Ford cars used that same part. With this information, you can interchange parts between different model and year cars, improve your odds of finding the part you need at a salvage yard or swap meet, or even purchase new parts for less.

With over 200 photos and diagrams, the Ford Parts Interchange Manual is the perfect resource for everyone from the serious restorer to the backyard mechanic. Covers 1959-1970 Ford Mustang, Fairlane, Torino, and Mercury Cougar & Cyclone models. Includes submodels such as GT, GTA, Shelby GT 350, GT 500, Boss, XR-7, and Cobra Jet.

You will find interchange for parts for the engine, fuel system, oiling & cooling system, exhaust, transmissions, suspension, steering, brakes, wheels, wheel covers, electrical systems, sheet metal, exterior trim, and interiorThe book measures 8 ľ" by 10 Ĺ", has 240 pages, and is in BRAND NEW condition! Buy now to own this indispensable guide for interchanging the parts on your Ford!

http://stores.ebay.com/Faxon-Auto-Literature
    $24.95 plus shipping. still on the way i can't wait to see all the parts i am missing!...

sometimes we find useful info by accident just tinkering in the garage i know i could use all the info i can get.
    Bob
    1970 Standard Hardtop
    "It's Not Rusty, It's A Classic"

Sort of like a vendors forum. I like the idea and it works very well on other forums.
    68 Cougar S code XR7 GT. Sold.

We have a clickable link page to all the Cougar Venders and then some on the Curb......

Use "guest" as the username...then use "guest" as the password...

Click the link in my signature to get there.....
    1969 XR-7 351W 4-V "M" Code

1970 XR-7 351C 2-V "H" Code

When I`m not Cruzin`, I`m parked at the Curb
    Full Curbster

You dont need no stinkin brakes....just a louder horn!!!!!

MC.net Needs a Forum for Reproduction Parts

Thanks MRCJ,

The Curb looks interesting. I did login as you said but I did not see anything that indicated Repro Parts. There was a comment that led me to believe that there is more but that I would need to register first. I will check it out when I get some time.

In the mean time, I believe that MC.net needs their own forum for reproduction parts so registered users do not need to go elsewhere. These parts are very important to most Cougar owners and as new members register they will also find it helpful. Actually I have been on the Forum for 2 years or so and I have never seen the CURB or been encouraged to go there so I have not had access to these parts as maybe those that have been around for a long time. So for that time I have been struggling to find parts and not have easy access to the reproduction parts. Maybe I am not too observant but maybe I am also not unusual in this regard. I am positive that a forum on MC.net would be a huge hit.

Silvercat, are you looking for the list of vendors that supply reproduction parts to the various Cougar parts retailers, or are you looking for a retailer that sells the reproduction parts?
    Bill Basore, Editor
    Legendary Cougar Magazine
    Have you checked out:
    ClassicCougarCommunity.Com
    '68 XR7G 390 4 speed Sunroof Cardinal Red
    '68 XR7G 428CJ C6 Black Cherry
    '68 GTE XR7 (427) Cardinal Red
    '68 XR7 Restomod 351W
    '67 XR-7 GT 4 Speed Lime Frost

...there can be discussion about how the parts work, their quality, suppliers, manufacturers etc....
    This would be nice, as it really is frustrating to buy repro parts advertised as "perfect," only to be disappointed. I seem to recall, though, that Logan has a "non-disparagement" policy when it comes to talking about vendors and manufacturers, which probably is prudent to stave off all sorts of "remove-that-post-or-my-lawyers-will" type letters.

One of the things I like about WCCC is they are up-front when the reproductions they sell are not quite good enough. Wish all the vendors did that. http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/

TCCN used to have a chart of vendors & how people graded them. Maybe it's in the archives? Maybe Steve will run a new poll & get some updated data for us?
    Gee, shouldn't this be a CCOA function? Oh, yeah...
    Bob

Am I the only person that didnít get free guns from the ATF?

'69 Cougar XR7, 460/C6. Caution: This car fitted with optional Caution Fan Sticker option!

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at

Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations

I am usually parked at The Curb or in the Classic Cougar Garage.

https://www.fordrestorationparts.com...tion/index.jsp

I have a better link to a pdf doc with a full listing of all of the companies that hold a license. IIRC it was Bill who posted it. It's bookmarked on my machine at work.

Ford has no problem licensing really poor reproduction parts these days, but some are quite good. Just know that most of the retail vendors all sell pretty much the same commodoties. It really helps to recognize the manufacturer by their license number. For instance Midland Automotive Products (license 3012) and Daniel Carpenter (license 3016) have a good amount of overlap in the parts they offer, DC is definitely the better of the two. But to dig even deeper, Daniel Carpenter makes windshield weatherstrip in both India and the U.S. The U.S. made version is about $10 more. I gave AutoKrafters lots of crap for advertising they sell the finest weatherstrip available and then kitting the Indian made weatherstrip in their kit for Cougar.

For me, knowing who makes the stuff is key.
    Rick
    CCOA #8570 (BFD, CCOA is useless)
    '68 XR7 302J (The Inmate is Home!)
    '71 Datsun 510 (Driver, Nothing Stock)
    '72 Datsun 510 (Parts Car, Dad Was First Owner)
    '72 Datsun 510 (Project Car)
    '01 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
    '47 Willy's CJ-2A (The vehicle Dad taught me to drive with)

Proud Member of the Curbsters

I agree. I just updated a bunch of stuff on my car and the list of parts that I have that are incorrect for a 1970 Cougar is longer than the list of stuff that I have that fits!

I am *so* tired of seeing "Fits 1969-1970 Mustang and Cougar"...yeah right...
    1970 Std Coupe, owned since 1983
    was an M code 351C, FMX, 3:00 open, AC/PS/PB
    Now: 418W, 622HP natural, 950 Holley, Super Victor, solid roller custom cam, AFR205's ported, C6,3.50TL
    Best (old) ET all motor: 11.24 @ 119.5
    Best mph all motor: 120.5
    7.13 @ 96.5 1/8mi, 1.54 60' time

Here is the better link. This is to a document named Ford Motor Company Restoration Parts Licensing Program. I have compiled a short list that associates licensed vendors to their license number. I can post my list too, but just as this link was on my work machine, my list is at home.

Things get a little complicated with situations like Scott Drake repackaging parts made by Carpenter or M.A.P. but it's not that hard to figure out who's actually making the stuff we buy.

https://www.fordcomponentsales.com/d...ng_Program.pdf
    Rick
    '01 Chevy Tahoe 4WD

428CJ Reproduction Exhaust Manifolds

I know that Scott Drake sells the reproduction 428CJ exhaust manifolds but do they redistribute them or do they actually have them made? Who is the real manufacturer of these manifolds?

I know that Scott Drake sells the reproduction 428CJ exhaust manifolds but do they redistribute them or do they actually have them made? Who is the real manufacturer of these manifolds?

I think it's kind of kept secret for the sake of marketing but Scott Drake's prices are as good as anybodys. They are the exact same ones that Tony Branda (Shelby/Mustang) sells, not much difference in price..
    Brian Aust
    Silverton, OR

67 GT XR-7 4 Speed Inverness Green/Black AM, Tinted, 3.25 Posi, Tilt-Away, Vinyl Top, Wire Spokes, Front Bumper Guards, 48K miles
    68 427 XR-7 GT-E Black/Black AM, Console, Tinted
    68 Standard White/Saddle Decor, Auto, tinted, console, AC, PB, PS, AM

For your High Quality vinyl Classic Running Cat, "Mercury" and "Cougar" Script decal needs..hit me up!

Interesting that Branda should come up. I wanted 15 x 7 tenspokes for my Cougar for the longest time. I would have typically bought them from MU but then I found out that they are actually made by Branda. Actually Branda has a vendor make them, and they don't do a very good job of source inspecting the wheels (if they do at all) or controlling the quality of the wheels. However Branda bought both the rights and the original tooling from Shelby to make the wheels. MU gets their tenspokes from Branda as do the other retailers that offer the 15 x 7 tenspokes. I don't believe the wheels are licensed by Ford as they are a Shelby item and not precisely a Ford item so the Ford licensing doesn't come into play.

Glad I went to Branda directly for the wheels too. I had to go through 8 wheels to find 4 good ones. I don't know if I could have got a retailer to work with me like that, I had to shame Branda into it by telling them how pitiful their quality was compared to say American Racing wheels. I even offered to help them write a product specification controlling end-item requirements but frankly I think the whole concept went over their heads and really they just wanted me to be satisfied with the crap they were making and selling and go away, which eventually I did.

The funny part is that I didn't realize until the wheels were on the car that they are not a repro of a '68 tenspoke. In '68 the wheels were 14 inchers. The 15 x 7 tenspokes were made by Shelby, but a few years later. Branda does not advertise this fact. I still like the wheels.
    Rick
    '01 Chevy Tahoe 4WD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information