If anyone listens to Rush Limbaugh..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If anyone listens to Rush Limbaugh..

If anyone listens to Rush Limbaugh..

He read excerpts from an article I wrote this morning on his talk show. Prius outdoes Hummer in enviromental damage, by Chris DeMorro.

I'm that Chris DeMorro. Feels kinda weird, but anyway, I missed it, but if anyone heard it, can you tell me exactly what he said? I've been trying to get like a podcast or something but haven't had any luck.

Oh and uh, let me know what you thought, good or bad, especially bad, because I can fix what is wrong with my writing early on instead of waiting.

Thanks guys!

Now in the Southern Oregon. Northern Cali area. (good to be home in the mountains again)
    Congrats Chris, I used to listen to Rush all of the time but am not able to get him in Afghanistan. I would like to read your article, though. Have you tried Rush's website? I think there are usually recordings from shows on there. Also, you should call him, I bet he would talk to you on the air.
    Christino G. Vercellotti

As much as I dislike Rush and probably disgree with you on global warming... I must acknowledge the cool recognition of having your book read on Rush's show.
    "first, they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    --Ghandi

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar351 View Post
    He read excerpts from an article I wrote this morning on his talk show. Prius outdoes Hummer in enviromental damage, by Chris DeMorro.

I'm that Chris DeMorro. Feels kinda weird, but anyway, I missed it, but if anyone heard it, can you tell me exactly what he said? I've been trying to get like a podcast or something but haven't had any luck.

Oh and uh, let me know what you thought, good or bad, especially bad, because I can fix what is wrong with my writing early on instead of waiting.

Thanks guys!
    Congrats on getting stuff read on the radio. How did it get to Rush, did you just email it in or are you published somewhere? Was it an opinion piece or a news story?

Without seeing or hearing your article or I have no way of knowing the science, facts and sources behind your conclusion that a Prius or many Priuses(?) are worse environmentally than Hummers.

I'm not doubting that it could be possible; there are lots of 'hidden' costs to alternative energy 'solutions'.

Care to give an outline of or share some evidence behind your article?

Thanks
    Past Cats: '69 Std. w/sunroof, 69 XR7, '67 XR7, '68 Std., '70 Std.
    I fabricate handmade Halloween costumes at:

www.kustomkostumes.net

Didn't hear it, but that's just way cool. Is the article online or in a publication I might be able to find locally?

Jay
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I called my Dad (who I knew probably heard it ) and he said that Rush basically said there was bad news for the liberals cuz their car has proven to be far more polluting then the cars it is supposed to replace.
    '70 std vert, bright blue met. w/ blue comfortweave, built 1/14/70 ------------------------------------- Before mods------------------------------------------GX470 - daily driver / Cougar tow vehicle

MORE PICS After mods: '69/'70 shelby wheels, flowmasters & FoMoCo scoop 45k miles

I thought exxon moble and british petroleum were the champions of these alternative energy vehicles. Not liberals.

Ah maybe you mean the ultimate liberal solution.
    "first, they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    --Ghandi

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world just how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate 'green car' is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America, and it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce then a Hummer.

Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand just how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius. The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76hp 1.5 liter gas engine found in most cars today, and a battery-powered engine that deals out 67hp and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000rpm. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed, as any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving then to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. Seems like a great, energy efficient, and environmentally sound car, right?

You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius an incredible 60mpg in the city and 51mpg on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph, and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second. The new tests, which affect all 2008 models, give a much more realistic rating, with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius's EPA down by 25%, to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.

However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this article. No, it is much worse, for you see building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage then a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer then a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery, which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles. This plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius' battery, of which Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulpher dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist's nightmare. "The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside," says Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin in an interview with Mail on Sunday, a British based newspaper.

This would be bad enough in and of itself. However, the journey to make a hybrid doesn't stop there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped, via massive container ship, to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China, to produce 'nickel foam,' and from there to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the round the world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. These are sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce.

But I haven't even got to the best part yet. When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics the world over, it takes almost fifty percent more energy then a Hummer, the Prius's arch nemesis. Through a study by CNW Marketing, called 'Dust to Dust,' the combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven, over a lifetime of 100,000 miles, the expected lifespan of the Hybrid. The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal 1.95 per mile to put on the road, over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer then a Prius, and use less combined energy doing it.

So if you are really an environmentalist, and not just some snob wearing heart on their HIS sleeve, ditch the Prius, and buy one of the most economical cars available, a Toyota Scion xB, which costs a paltry $.48 per mile to put on the road. Or, if you are still obsessed over gas mileage, buy a Chevy Aveo, and fix that lead foot. One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius, meaning you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

______

I have no idea how Rush found it. It was printed in our college paper and on the website, and then I got a frantic call from a buddy this morning telling me it was on Rush. Hell, I threw the paper together in 1/2 hour of being bored. I was just having fun lol.

Hey Cougar351 that was a great read. I would love to post it at a couple other forums I visit and would gladly give you the reps. Would that be OK? I am also assuming the things you said are factual, am I correct? I dont want to be busted out for pimping you.

Quote Originally Posted by durf View Post
    Hey Cougar351 that was a great read. I would love to post it at a couple other forums I visit and would gladly give you the reps. Would that be OK? I am also assuming the things you said are factual, am I correct? I dont want to be busted out for pimping you.
    Go right ahead. The more exposure the better, and besides, its public domain, so I can't say nothing.

Nice write-up.

One thing an English teacher whould smack you over is your use of 'then' instand of 'than'. Then is a time, than is a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
    Nice write-up.

One thing an English teacher whould smack you over is your use of 'then' instand of 'than'. Then is a time, than is a comparison.
    My teachers always tell me if one thing is gonna hold me back, its the damn grammar!

Toyota Prius

I have a prius, 3 cougars, Dodge Durango, Olds Bravada, 2 Ranger pickup and a 93 Topaz. I am not a tree hugger. I drive the Prius because I don't like to pay 3.00-3.50 per gallon for gas. If I want to have a good time I'll jump in to one of the Cougars. This is my second Prius first one in 2005 traded it in at 45,000 it averaged for a tankfull high 53 MPG in the summer, to a low of 44 in the dead of winter. This is mostly highway miles at an average speed of 74 at least on the interstate. If I drove more in town MPG would go way up. My new one is just barely broken in has not gotten the best gas mileage as of yet, we have had our first decent day in two months ut to about 48 MPG this is for a full tank. I do not believe half of the stuff Green Peace or any other quote un quote sientist says if I did I would probably just kill myself to get it over with. Not trying to start a war
    Randy Feuillerat

All that being said

I just wanna know what you're time slip from the track sez.................No really.........................thats all I wanna know..................OH and Um...Thanks ....you know who
    "Blessed mother of acceleration dont fail us now" Elwood Blues

Quote Originally Posted by mercinary View Post
    I just wanna know what you're time slip from the track sez.................No really.........................thats all I wanna know..................OH and Um...Thanks ....you know who
    I cant say on the Prius, but my wife drives a Matrix. (CRAZY FAST compared to the Prius) The Matrix bangs out the 1/4 in 1 minute 20 on slicks. 1 min. 23 on street tires. (It just sits and smokes 'em.)
    1969 XR7 coupe
    Meadowlark yellow
    Saddle interior

Official greeter of The Curbsters

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information