Need measurements to make one piece export brace (69 cougar)

Thread: Need measurements to make one piece export brace (69 cougar)

Need measurements to make one piece export brace (69 cougar)

Hi guys

I'm playing with the idea of making my own/welding the 2 piece export brace together with a flat piece of steel to make a one piece

Reason for this is not the price of a one piece aftermarket, more the shipping and tax to belgium.
    And i'm aware that a repro one-piece will probably be stronger than what I make.

If I mess up, no harm done, I can still take the bullet and buy a new one, but I would like to give it a try at least.
    If anyone has one installed or loose, I need the exact center to center bolt holes measurements, see pic for what I need:
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	20140712_143736.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	95121

Although I probably don't need nr 3, but just to be sure (in case the body holes have stretched somehow).
    It for a 1969 Cougar btw.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need measurements to make one piece export brace (69 cougar)

Anyone? Have some spare time this weekend, that's why i'm bumping
    Help would be appreciated.

Well you are sure not going for a concours resto... but hey that's fine, the car belongs to you and as you say, it will always be possible to get it done with the right part in the future!
    Mine is 70 and 1 piece brace (from WCCC) was installed with no need to work the car (straight fit), here are the measurements ( 1/16"):
    1- 37" cc fronter bolts
    2- 30" bolts cc
    3- 4" bolts cc, this one you should be able to validate on your car.
    How do you plan to weld the joint bar in order to keep the braces at the same level they were with the shock towers and without loosing the angle of the triple hole seats so they lay flat as before on the shock towers? This may be more complicated than it looks at first... Good luck, keep us posted.
    Last edited by CougaDan70; 1 Week Ago at 12:43 PM.
    1970 Vert Base, 351W/FMX with PB & PS... That all there is but man am I happy! Hidden Content
    Dan, Montreal Qc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CougaDan70 View Post
    How do you plan to weld the joint bar in order to keep the braces at the same level they were with the shock towers and without loosing the angle of the triple hole seats so they lay flat as before on the shock towers?...
    Hi hanver, Being a machinist and fabricator, I have a couple suggestions for you to consider. (5) piece construction, might help with the final alignment issues that will be involved: (2) shock tower anchor plates, (2) traverse arms, & (1) cowl anchor plate. If you were to make these pieces individually and then tack weld the traverse arms to the cowl and shock tower anchor plates with those plates fastened in the installed positions... you could then remove the tack welded assy from the engine compartment for the finishing welds. Also, the finish welding will generate localized heat that will likely initiate some warp. To help control the warp, a piece of angle iron could be used as a temporary "span" jig that would keep the shock tower plates spaced correctly during the welding process. (2) bolt holes on each shock plate fastened to the angle iron should keep it rigid during the weld. Best of luck to you with your efforts.

Thx guys, much appreciated! Something came up this weekend, should have time next weekend though.
    Car is not concours, nor will it ever be, made that decision when I bought the car .
    I'm aware it's not that easy, but i'm patient and i'll make sure everything is perfect after tack-welding before fully welding it. Will keep the amount of heat in check as much as I can to prevent warping.
    Last edited by hanver; 1 Week Ago at 05:53 AM.

Why not just buy one and have us cut it in half? $45 to ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rush View Post
    Why not just buy one and have us cut it in half? $45 to ship?
    Hi hanver, Don's suggestion sounds like the practical way to go. Performing a mid-assembly weld sounds pretty easy, and after finish grind work for prime & painting... the weld joint area should not be very noticeable. $45 shipping sounds very reasonable for an over the ocean trip.

Cutting up a new part would be a shame in my opinion, and I enjoy fabricating things (even though I don't have any fancy equipment)

Quote Originally Posted by CougaDan70 View Post
    Well you are sure not going for a concours resto... but hey that's fine, the car belongs to you and as you say, it will always be possible to get it done with the right part in the future!
    Mine is 70 and 1 piece brace (from WCCC) was installed with no need to work the car (straight fit), here are the measurements ( 1/16"):
    1- 37" cc fronter bolts
    2- 30" bolts cc
    3- 4" bolts cc, this one you should be able to validate on your car.
    How do you plan to weld the joint bar in order to keep the braces at the same level they were with the shock towers and without loosing the angle of the triple hole seats so they lay flat as before on the shock towers? This may be more complicated than it looks at first... Good luck, keep us posted.
    These measurements were spot on, without me needing to push the shock towers apart, so that's great.
    I've started on this little "project" of mine by making a piece to connect the 2 once-piece braces togehter.
    Made it from a piece of heavy gauge angle iron I had laying around from the time I renovated the house:

Next up is tack-welding it on the vehicle and then fully welding it outside the car.
    Oh, and I'll make sure to grind off the zinc coating so I don't kill myself while welding

I am glad you got through that project that easily and hope you see as much improvement as I did on my car after installing the 1 piece brace.
    1970 Vert Base, 351W/FMX with PB & PS... That all there is but man am I happy! Hidden Content
    Dan, Montreal Qc.

Thread Information