Front drum to disk brake conversion to allow stock 14in GT wheels

Thread: Front drum to disk brake conversion to allow stock 14in GT wheels

Blog Entries

Front drum to disk brake conversion to allow stock 14in GT wheels

I have done the due diligence and searched, read, digested as many previous posts as I can. Heck, half of them were mine.

What it looks like is every mustang part supplier has a front disk conversion kit for around $500 a $600 depending what extras you would like. However, most all of them have a ** (requires 15 inch wheels or larger) disclaimer.

Since I am doing a non power front disk rear drum to start I want to be sure of a few things.

1. Who has done this exact same thing. Were happy with the results and can provide the place they purchased their kit?

2. Must clear 14 inch Ford GT wheels. I have 2 sets and am not ready to give them up yet.

3. Would like to use as close to stock or a reputable brand pad, caliper and rotor when time comes to do maitenance. Searching all over for an odd size pad or rotor from a 72 pinto is not something I look forward to. Nothing against pinto.

4. What proportioning valve works best for the non power asist? None of the kits I looked at had one until power asist was added. I do not like vacuum cosuming power assist. Any other options?

Some time in the future I would like rear disk also. I will assume at that point I must add power assist. Not studied that far ahead.

I have all the parts to put it together from stock and get the consumables from the part store. However this will involve a lot of sanding, painting and 20 trips to the part store to get the right thing. We have all been there.

Yes...... I am already running a dual reseviour master but I believe it is stock. I did see a 69 mustang durring my search with what looked like the power brakes from my 2002 explorer. At least the power booster and master looked that way.

Thank you and sorry for the repetition on the same old subject. But every time I start the project again there are new options available.
    Former Director of Club Services CCOA
    69 Vert H code 351W 3 speed
    69 Coupe H code 351W FMX (Restomod!!)
    69 Vert H code 351W FMX XR7
    2002 4.6 Explorer
    1996 Ford Ranger
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 HO T5
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Re: Front drum to disk brake conversion to allow stock 14in GT wheels

I am in the same boat as you on this as I would like to retain my 14 inch 1967 Cougar styled steel wheels that are in great condition. However, I have power drum brakes so I may not need as many parts to convert to front disc brakes.

I have not purchased any product yet but my research seemed to confirm the best route to take was to purchase a used 1967 system from a '67 Mustang or Cougar to insure it fits correctly. The 68 and up disc brakes will require new wheels. New spindles are not really needed as the drum brake spindles will convert fine. Also in the future when new pads or rotors are needed all you have to do is look up a 67 Cougar with disc brakes. ( I have converted Mustang drums using Torino parts, but you have to remember what is different when repairing the brakes)

You item number 4 - Not sure what to do there as I planned on power assisted brakes so I was planning on using a service replacement proportioning valve assembly or even an adjustable proportioning valve.

`68 XR7
    CCOA member # 7457
    Cascade Cougar Club
    Mercury Club of Norway
    AMCAR (American Car Club of Norway)

AAHHH, there`s nothing like the smell of highoctane fuel and burning rubber in the afternoon

When i`m not here, i`m sitting on Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Might want to check this one out too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilwood-New-...pYpHjx&vxp=mtr

Wilwood New Brake Disc and Caliper Kits 2-Wheel Set Front Ford Mustang Cougar

WILWOOD DYNALITE CLASSIC SERIES 4-PISTON FRONT BRAKE DISC AND CALIPER KITS

$598.28
    catman

Why not put a 68-69 front disk setup on (requires 68-69 spindles as well)? They will fit 14" for sure since that is what 68-69's came with. Cheap too.
    Last edited by 1969XR7Vert; March 2nd, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Blog Entries

One thing to remember with 67 wheels. If the car came with drum brakes the stock wheels will not fit on any Disc brake setup. They are not the same wheels.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V The money pit.
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    2015 Ruby Red Focus SE Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Good point Neal!
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

So if I have the factory 14 inch 1967 Cougar Styled Steel wheels with power drum brakes, I can't use these same wheels with a factory 1967 Cougar or Mustang disc front brake setup? Did they make wider styled wheels in 1967 for Cougars with factory disc brakes? I was thinking all the SS wheels in 1967 where all 14 x 5.5. I do know for sure the '67 styled wheels will not fit on a 1968 Cougar with factory disc brakes as I have tried this myself.

If I can't use these wheels with factory '67 disc brakes, please let me know as I am putting all new rubber on this weekend on my '67 Styled Steel wheels. I am converting the drum brakes out this summer.

Thanks!

Steve

Blog Entries

You can tell by looking at he back side of the wheel. If it has a step down close to the wheel center of about an inch or more, they may work. But if it has a rump up to the center of about a 30 degree then no they will not work. That ramp will be in the way.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V The money pit.
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    2015 Ruby Red Focus SE Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thread Information