$209,000 1970 Boss 302 sold at B-J [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: $209,000 1970 Boss 302 sold at B-J

chuckty101
January 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM
Barrett-Jackson Lot: 961 - 1970 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 FASTBACK - *$209,000

How does a $85,000 car sell for $209,000????

I figured $165,000 for a 68 Cougar GTE427 was crazy money............

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=961&aid=443&pop=0

Chuck
1969 Eliminator 428CJ/RA/4sd/1of3 painted White.

68XR7GT390
January 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
IMO since I have never attended, only observed from my living room couch, a combination of factors not all of which apply. (1) Freely flowing alcohol, (2) An attitude of "I want it and I will prevail since my bank account is bigger than your's is", (3) some very skilled auctioneers and (4) well trained bidding assistants who really know how to work bidders and whip the non-bidding crowd into a frenzy. I would also add one more which is just plain stupidity meaning more money than sense. A few years ago when the Hemi cars were bringing stupid money, 'ol Craig Jackson was standing up on the podium when a '70 Hemi Cuda rolled upon stage. Bidding went high, but apparently not high enough for his liking so he started his old "This is a mililion dollar car" rant. Makes me wonder what some of those buyers think when they go out into their garages today and look at their million dollar cars sitting there knowing full well that they are so upside down they'll never see anything close to a return on their investment if they bring them back to auction. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how one sees it), money spent or lost is not an issue for most of those people.

CougarCJ
January 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
"If you have the means, I highly recommend getting one." Ferris Bueller.

Looks like a very high level concours restoration. If it is all numbers matching, has all of the original sheetmetal, and the options match the Marti report. It was still too much money.

It's the B-J effect, gonna win and all of my friends are gonna see me on TV, and read about it in the publications - with color pictures!

c7xr7
January 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
It is all relative, to some people that is the equivalent of $209.00 to them, hardly worth concerning ones self over such a tiny sum.

cyclonelou
January 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM
As I see it, since the end of WW2, there's been the greatest accumulation of wealth in history. None of which has come my way might I add. But there are people out there that have more money than I can possibly comprehend. So $209,000 for anything is just simply no money at all. So far off their radar that the sum is hardly worth thinking about. And I guess that's O.K.

XR7-Gina
January 22nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
I have often quipped, "that's an unfair distribution of wealth" while admirering someone elses gem. Now, it seems like the the President feels the same way. I was always kidding, I dont think he is though. Hate to say it, but BJ might be adding to the 99%ers frenzy. Personally, my hats off to anyone thats able to accumulate wealth with all the regulation that exists today. My bet is the post war wealth will soon disappear and the post baby boomers will have much more shallow pockets.

bosselim69
January 25th, 2012, 06:50 AM
It was just a matter of two people wanting an item regardless of it's real value. That can happen at an auction and usually does at B&J given the number of people there with money. For comparison look at Mitt Romney tax return. Do you think he would care if he over spent $150,000 for an item he had to have? I bet you $10,000 he wouldn't lol...

XR7-Gina
January 25th, 2012, 07:41 AM
"Touché salesman!"

coolcatz
January 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hello all, I am the guy that restored and sold the Boss 302 for $209,000.00 at BJ, Wow what a rush. I can tell you that there were at least 6 very interested buyers on this car, 1 from Germany, 2 from Canada, 1 from oil rich North Dakota, the country singer Sheryl Crow and 1 mystery guy with 7 bidders passes (most probably phone or internet clients). This particular car was 1 of only 25 with the deluxe white interior, I don't know if that was the kicker. We were expecting $70 to $100K which should have been the market, never thought it would bring a new world record! I restored the car to a very high standard but not 100 point. Just goes to show you that very well done cars bring the highest prices, it also helps to have more than 2 interested buyers and a little luck!
look me up at www.coolcatz.com and my new site www.catzauto.com which is still under development but it is partially open.
Cheers
Tom Z.

Spartikus
January 25th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Grats Tom. Was an awesome car and man there sure was some crazy money thrown around those last 3 days :) Glad you got paid man. Great job.

bosselim69
January 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Lots of talk on the Boss 302 forum about your car. http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=56737.60

Congrats on the sale. I was there and check out your car. For someone like myself that knows Boss car I agree it is not a 100 % correct car. But, from ten foot away and ignoring the fine detail it sure was pretty! Congrats on the sale and the money you got shocked all Boss 302 owners. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and you would be welcomed on the Boss 302 forum if you care to comment.

old wood
January 26th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Well Done Tom! What a rush it must have been once it got over 100,000. Way cool that you set a record.

old wood
January 26th, 2012, 01:06 AM
It looks like you guys have had some nice projects. Gotta love that rotessirie!

Spartikus
January 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how high and mighty some folks get on their high horse when something they don't "approve" of throws their little fantasy world into a tizzy. That BOSS car had 8-9 different bidders on it and they all wanted it. It represented a lot of work and some of those guys have nothing better to say than "how dare they pay that much for a car that is obviously not as nice as my car". wow.

Wish people could just enjoy these old cars for what they are and have some friggin fun. These old muscle cars were built to be driven and driven hard. That's why I have 2 ;) so when I break one I can still have a back-up haha.

XR7-Gina
January 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Not to mention that it raises awareness and thus the value of future cougars, perhaps? I'm lovin it, bout time cougars gained a little respect in my opinion.

BOSSGTE
January 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Good for you Tom! Trickle down economics baby! It proves again that hard work and taking on some risk--anyone can do great things in America. But I'm not sure the future will be the same way....

chuckty101
January 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Total of 7013 Boss 302 Mustangs built in 1970 with only 25 units built with White Interior. WOW simply amazing. LOL

Chuck
1969 Eliminator 428CJ/RA/4spd/1 of 3
not a Copycat Clone Eliminator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5uqULUSTI

JB BATTERSHILL
January 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I'm thinkin that selling that car was not just "fun". If Tom enjoyed building it ,even if just parts of the build, and then experienced this sale, imo, that is one fun time that flooring a big block pony car is not going to compare to.

To each his own on how they want to have fun with their stuff and CONGRATS, Tom.

There was apprx 10% production of cats in comparison to stangs. Using the same math puts the possible potential of buyers of stangs at 10 times the amount of possible cougar buyers.

jsv
January 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
In 1970, there were 190727 stangs and 72365 cougars, according to the registies I saw. This 3:1 ratio is a lot closer than I thought, because I would have believed even less than 10:1. Hopefully, as more really nice cougars make the national scene, the respect they should get for the more substantial car they are will increase.
I'm thinkin that selling that car was not just "fun". If Tom enjoyed building it ,even if just parts of the build, and then experienced this sale, imo, that is one fun time that flooring a big block pony car is not going to compare to.

To each his own on how they want to have fun with their stuff and CONGRATS, Tom.

There was apprx 10% production of cats in comparison to stangs. Using the same math puts the possible potential of buyers of stangs at 10 times the amount of possible cougar buyers.

Spartikus
January 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
One of the bigger challenges Cougar owners face is that our cars are often sharked out for parts for Mustang restorations. Consoles, Disc brake setups.. Before the last 10 yaers of more available aftermarket equipment, I cant begin to tell you the horror stories of what happens to Cougar's when those crazy Mustang guys get hold of them for parts. :) I make a smiley because I am poking a little fun at Mustang guys (being a partial one myself) but in all seriousness man it was sad to see what happened to some real nice big block cats over the last 20 years. There is a story about a 70 428CJ convertable Cougar back in my hometown I can tell you sometime if you are bored, It does not have a happy ending :(

tbm3fan
January 26th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Not to mention that it raises awareness and thus the value of future cougars, perhaps? I'm lovin it, bout time cougars gained a little respect in my opinion.

I need something explained to me concerning respect. I understand what respect means in relation to a human being. How some people have it and some don't. How some people deserve it and some don't. How some people earn respect and others can't. How it means something to someone and how it means too much to someone.

So can a car, a machine, feel respect? Does a car care about respect? How does a car work hard to earn respect? Or are we really referring to the owner feeling respected for owning said car? That being the case why does the owner want or care about respect for owning a car? I know I could give a rat's ass whether someone respected my car or me for owning it. I own it, not for respect, but because I simply like it. So I don't need respect to make me feel good.

That being said brings up the next question as to why respect is connected with value? If the value is higher the car deserves more respect? Huh? Again does the car care or is it the owner? An analogy would be if the person earning a million dollars a year deserves more respect that the guy earning $50,000? In today's age is the one with more tiddlywinks deserve more respect than the one with less? So if you have the car, because you like it, then why should the value ever matter? Doesn't matter to me in the slightest in any of my cars. Besides we all own pretty much every day cars and not the highly unique ones that get big dollars. We are never going to see equivalent dollars for the the time and money put into our cars to restore. Why not simply enjoy the hobby and your car instead of being concerned about it's value and respect.

One day, in the future, most all of our cars aren't going to be worth much at all. As generations move along there are less and less who will look at these cars and say I have to have it. I know someone who has three 1919 Dodge cars and he is 80 with Parkinson's. Those cars will be scraped when he dies I know for a fact. Someone else has a 1926 Ford for sale at $6000 and no one calls. Their time has passed and ours will to. I already know two of my cars will be likely scraped when I die. Just as the market for European antiques has flattened and declined today so will these machines. My father passed on to me his WWII souvenirs and uniform while he is still alive. I would never sell them however lots of WWII items are being dumped on the market by grandchildren because it means nothing to them. It happens to everything one day.

XR7-Gina
January 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM
It doesn't seem to me that you need anything explained to you. By the look of your post you seem pretty confident that you have the meaning of life figured out and most should be looking in your direction for answers. I think my comment was pretty clear with regard to my meaning, (in case your still wondering, I personally enjoy seeing something other than corvettes and camaros on "the block", get the gist?), and my bet is most others did as well. So to be crystal clear, the term respect while used to describe my thoughts, may have rubbed you the wrong way, it had nothing to do with anything other than the general direction of monetary value as it pertains to current market conditions and the cougar, and the likelihood that more cougars may be seen in the future thanks to such a strong showing by this particular one. As for the monetary value being placed upon anyones personal vehicle, I for one DO plan on selling my G car in the future with hopes of gaining a tidy profit. It's self-righteous rants like yours that give too many forums a bad name and leave a bad taste in my mouth.

tbm3fan
January 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I simply asked questions revolving around what respect means to an inanimate object. Clearly you are not able to answer that question as you ignored it. However, your" self-righteous rants like yours that give too many forums a bad name and leave a bad taste in my mouth" tells me that I must have hit something close to home. This is the reaction I usually see when someone's long held beliefs are called into question more than they would like. Been there and had it happen to me so I know it when I see it. As for the bad taste in your mouth don't forget that there are those in the hobby who don't care what their value may or may not be in the long run, just like there are those who feel it is their number one concern. So, if you are saying indirectly that I shouldn't even be expressing my opinion then maybe you need to rethink your last comment some? Or should I just leave the board because you don't approve of my questions?

old wood
January 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM
First of all, the car in question isnt even a Cougar. Its a Mustang. TBM3, I very much appreciate your opinion and your line of thought. Gina, I do not understand why you would take offence at TBs questions. I like what you had to say and really I agree with you. I like seeing Cougars get a little more recognition.No need to go off on Mr TB though. Its really none of my business but I just had to puy my two cents in. Could I get some change please?

Team Sho-Air
January 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how high and mighty some folks get on their high horse when something they don't "approve" of throws their little fantasy world into a tizzy. That BOSS car had 8-9 different bidders on it and they all wanted it. It represented a lot of work and some of those guys have nothing better to say than "how dare they pay that much for a car that is obviously not as nice as my car". wow.

Wish people could just enjoy these old cars for what they are and have some friggin fun. These old muscle cars were built to be driven and driven hard. That's why I have 2 ;) so when I break one I can still have a back-up haha.

Very Well Said!@

letsroll
January 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Actual value prices can be totally lost at auction. Especially when there are some folks who want the object of their desires, they have the funds, and they are at the same auction as others with the prior two. Does it make them stupid? Not in their minds. Does in make them self indulgent? That is PART off being rich or well off (notice I said part). Does it matter to you and I? Makes for fun fodder and discussion on the internet I guess. That is the business of auctions and not listing it in the local trader magazine. Could have went the other way. Anyway, good for Tom that sold it. Good for the buyer that got it. Now the one that sold at Mecum a few minutes ago for $55,500 is probably more realistic (probably not as nice as Tom's) and maybe even a bargain. But that was the auction and the audience at that time.

XR7-Gina
January 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mr Wood, you can have a complete refund if you like. My apologizes for mistakenly referring to the mustang. I was thinking about the 70 cougar that went for 100 plus k and mixed up the two. My bad. As for appreciating tbs questions, that is certainly your puragitive. As for me, I perceive them to be sarcastic and provocative bait, just like his pithy comment at the end suggesting that he leave the board. Makes me think of he kid with the stick poking the caged animal. He even supports my perceptions with his own remarks, "tells me that I must have hit something close to home. This is the reaction I usually see when someone's long held beliefs are called into question more than they would like. Been there and had it happen to me so I know it when I see it." Clearly he's attempting to hide behind, "I simply asked questions revolving around what respect means to an inanimate object." I think he needs to remember that when he points at someone, there are three fingers pointing back at him. My "respect" remark clearly hit something close to his home I think. Look back at a number of his past posts and you will see that he takes issue with dollar values placed upon his beloved hobby. I assure you I have no problem with anothers opinion, but I do not believe it was presented as such. He decided to make it a bit more personal when he chose to quote my one line and then write a novel. I think I shall take care of the issue by leaving this board myself. Thanks to all the decent, friendly and helpful people that otherwise I have had the pleasure to interact with. Too bad, I was enjoying it until this kind of garbage rears it's ugly head.

chuckty101
January 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I had the same car back in the 70's with black interior. It's a nice 14.5 sec car in the 1/4 mile.

Chuck
1969 Eliminator 428CJ/RA/4spd/1 of 3
Not a CopyCat Clone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5uqULUSTI

old wood
January 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I dont think you should leave and I wish you wouldnt. Like you said about all the decent, helpfull and freindly people just because you diagree with one is no reason to call it quits. Maybe two if youre counting me. A little arguement once in a while keeps it interesting.