1968 390 S-code engine question [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 1968 390 S-code engine question

August 20th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I've been trying to get as much information as I can about the engine in my car, as well as what the differences are in each package offered by Mercury in their 1967-68 cougars.

From my research on the web, I found this page (http://www.classiccougar.com/7_Extras/specedguide/specedguide.html) that is a pretty good summary of the differences between the special cougar editions/packages offered in 1967-68.

Still, I have questions regarding the 390 S-code I have in my car. I've talked to a number of different folks about this, and in trying to understand the differences between a car with the 6.5 Litre badging and one with the GT badging were not just a few performance items, but the engine appears different as well.

The GT version for 1967-68 came with a Marauder 390 CID 4V engine. However, the 1967-68 6.5 Litre version came with a 390 CID 4V engine. No "Marauder" label. What is the difference between the two engines? To make it more confusing, when I do a search on my VIN, my engine code generates the following: 390-4V GT (S) (this comes from the VIN decoder on cougarclub.com website. So, if I understand this properly, the 1967-68 390 S-codes were GT engines, but not Marauder engies. The 1967-68 390 S-codes in the GT version were Marauder engines.

Can anyone explain to me what the difference in these two engines (if any) exist? And why is the 390 S-Code for the 6.5 Litre badging considered a GT engine, while the GT engine of the 1967-68 390 S-codes were called Mauraders?

Thanks in advance!

CougarCJ
August 20th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Some or all of the 6.5's came without the chromed valve covers, chromed air cleaner lid, and chromed oil dipstick handle.

The "GT" designation on the fenders also gave the car disc brakes and the suspension handling package.

August 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Some or all of the 6.5's came without the chromed valve covers, chromed air cleaner lid, and chromed oil dipstick handle.

The "GT" designation on the fenders also gave the car disc brakes and the suspension handling package.

Correct. The Handling Package seems to be the important distinction, because my car has the chrome package and the power disc brakes. But what's the difference between a Maurader 390 and a GT 390?

Al Bundy
August 20th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty sure they were called marauders simply because they were installed in a Mercury.

Smith Brother
August 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
A Cougar isn't a Mercury?

Dale in Indy

boodieman
August 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Scott,

Didn't all '68 390 Cougars have front disc brakes? Or at least all of the S-code equipped 68's?

I have a '68 6.5 Litre S-code (owned since '79) and it has the engine chrome package and front disc brakes.

My best guess is the "GT" lists the Marauder 390 CID 4V engine because that is the 4V engine designation which was the only 390 choice for the GT option. And with the "6.5 Litre" option, you could order either the 390 4V or the X-code 2V engine option.

68XR-7Cat
August 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM
The 1968 Cougar brochure lists only two 390 options - the 2-V "Marauder 390 P V-8" (which we know as the X-code) and the 4-V "Marauder 390 GT V-8" (which we know as the S-code). Both engines were optional for the base and XR-7 Cougars, but the S-code was standard with the GT.

Part of the confusion may come from the fact that the information you're seeing is from different sources that may have had the information entered differently. The bottom line, though, is that you have a non-GT S-code and consequently, the 6.5 Litre badges. The engine in your car and the engine in a '68 GT are the same S-code 390-4V.

MagCats
August 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Our 1967 6.5 Litre, Non-GT, has Power Drum Brakes. I haven't fully checked out the Suspension yet, but it has the 3/4" Front Stabilizer Bar. Air Cleaner was gone when we got it, so I do not know if it said Marauder or not. Andrew

Al Bundy
August 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
A Cougar isn't a Mercury?

Dale in Indy

Sorry Dale I don't understand the question. Of course the Cougar is a Mercury. What I said was the reason these engines carried the monicker Marauder was because they were installed in a Mercury. If you bought a Fairlane or a Moostang they did not call them a Marauder. I don't believe there is any difference, it's just a name.

Smith Brother
August 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Ok, so they were installed in Mercury's OTHER models, NOT the Mercury Cougar model. I don't recall a model called, simply, MERCURY.

Cool,

Dale in Indy

CougarCJ
August 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
You could have ordered a 1967 or 1968 Cougar with the S code 390-4V non-GT, and disc brakes would have been optional.

xr7g428
August 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
On at least one '68 GT the car was built with drum front brakes (Elliott CJ race car). Of course it may have been unique as it was a GT with the 428CJ and was special ordered. After Royce found the 427 non-GT-E car, I no longer believe in impossible.