68 cougar upper control arm kit [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 68 cougar upper control arm kit

posidude
January 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Has anyone put this kit on their upper control arms?
http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=MOOG+Part+%23+K8233&x=52&y=16:thinkuh:

woodsnake
January 9th, 2010, 04:12 PM
No, but that looks like a good buy....

posidude
January 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
The kit is a rubber bushing style kit as opposed to the traditional threaded cap style.
My question is can this be installed on the cap style arms?

DrCougar
January 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
But consider this. By the time you buy the kit and and a ball joint assembly you will have almost as much into it as a complete upper a-arm assembly that retails for $110.

posidude
January 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The kit is a rubber bushing style kit as opposed to the traditional threaded cap style.
My question is can this be installed on the cap style arms?
My question has nothing to do with cost

fastmerc
September 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
pdude,

Did you ever spring for this kit and try it???

I was always a fan of using the Versailles upper a-arms, but they are pretty much dried up...... They were slightly reinforced, AND they have the simple rubber bushings....no screwing around with the threaded "barely greasable" versions.....as used in the Granada/Monarchs/ and Cougars.....

If these fit properly in the threaded frame, then they do offer a great benefit to use in our old cars!!!

Lemmeno!
Steve

posidude
September 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM
As a matter of fact I am going to work on the control arms next week. I will post pics of the progress.

xr7g428
September 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I really like the reproduction upper control arms. I add the right angle grease zerks and it is easy to lube and they install fast and work great.

fastmerc
September 20th, 2010, 11:44 PM
For a while there, the repop upper arms left a little to be desired....I think I remember a call for good cores around here somewhere.... If that has been corrected....then yes, I would agree that for many, they are a great fast solution to an otherwise MPITA job!!!

I always loved getting new assy's from L-M while they were still available! Our club discount made it such that dorking around with a ball joint replacement wasn't worth the time!!! No muss no fuss....xfer over your 90 degree grease zerks, a shot or two of grease while rotating the shaft, some in the ball joint, transfer the spring saddles and slap 'er back in place!

These rubber bushing type shaft replacements get rid of that annoying threaded upper shaft, which upon compression of the suspension, causes one side to throw the top of the LH spindle one direction while causing the top of the RH to go the other direction.... Not a big deal for a grocery getter, but if you are driving aggressively or hit some good undulations in the roadway at speed, it can make your front end feel a bit odd, even though you know you just rebuilt it!!!

PLUS, if your upper's threads are toasted, these may still fit.....but not having any in hand, along with a bad upper arm, I couldn't say exactly how well these would fit...so am anxious to hear stories!!!

I intend on welding reinforcements onto the upper arms to reduce the flexing inherent in the design. Easy enough modification to top and bottom arms!

Steve