Question about sound deadener [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Question about sound deadener

1970fastcat
May 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
We all know Dynamat is good stuff, but what about the competition that is MUCH cheaper? Are they cheaper for a reason? Has anyone used any of the other stuff? if so how did you like it? better yet, how does it compare to Dynamat? Was thinking of buying this stuff http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-FatMat-Xtreme-Car-Sound-Deadener-Dynamat-Roller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1234Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5631b44975QQitemZ370201086325QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ 5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories but want to find out if the stuff is any good or not

atomicbob
May 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I would caution against the FatMat product in particular. I only say this because I was considering the same thing and ordered some through their website. After the order was charged to my credit card and went undelivered, I called and emailed the "company" with no response. (I has actually called a few months before and spoken to a "rep" about the similarities to Dynamat." I contacted the BBB after doing my own research only to confirm that their physical address and contact info were invalid despite the positive reviews from other eBay buyers.

Perhaps they are a legitimate business at this time (it has been a few years since the incident) but I would contact them directly before ordering blind.

To answer the original question - the products are essentially the same. There are a number of other threads discussing the subject. I went on to order (and not use) the Dynomat material because when you apply the product, it basically makes a wicked bond with the metal (really sticky tar backing). I realized that if I ever wanted to change it out in the future it would be virtually impossible to remove.

There are other (and cheaper) options - I am using a combo of heat shield, the "factory replacement sound deadner" offered by Cougar vendors that is NOTHING like the original material coverage, and probably an accoustic felt sound barier under the carpet.

But again, check all the past threads on the subject - there are a number of different opinions and methods, just wanted to share my experience with the FatMat guys.

Copy Cat
May 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
I guess I got lucky, I got the Fat mat that I ordered altough it did take longer than they said it would by a week. I don't remember who I got it through though. But, like atomic bob said it is on there for good. Don't have to worry about floor rot from a broken heater core with this on.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2098836249_2311121992.jpg

mo2872
May 23rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Local Hero swears by InsulShield......

1970fastcat
May 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
I wont need to worry about a broken heater core anyway, wont have one, but hey, copycat, does it help with sound as compared to before? I will have to look into Insulshield, havent heard of that one before

Copy Cat
May 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Umm, well.... It appears to help. I only had 5 miles in the cat before I did this. We had to put new pans in right away and I did this at the same time. I'm still thinking about adding another layer of something on top to help with heat and to help fill out underneath the carpet.

Sunroof69
May 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Do a search on mcn for "damplifier". I go over all the pluses that I found using it. No negs. I used it in conjuction with heat shield insulation with great results. Btw I have about 5 sheets left of damplifier if any one is interested in purchasing.

JoeXR7F93C
May 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Make sure it is Butyl based, whatever you get. Asphalt base makes your car smell like a construction site until ?

1970fastcat
May 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
so is dynamat not butyl stuff? I hate trying to take butyl off, use that stuff all the time with work. I have a small box of dynamat that i was going to use for my doors and didnt notice any odor of asphalt. How big are the sheets sunroof? and what do you want for them? I may try to find some on ebay

Sunroof69
May 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
so is dynamat not butyl stuff? I hate trying to take butyl off, use that stuff all the time with work. I have a small box of dynamat that i was going to use for my doors and didnt notice any odor of asphalt. How big are the sheets sunroof? and what do you want for them? I may try to find some on ebay

When I did my research and comparisons about 3 years ago, I'm pretty sure Dynamat was tar-based. They may have changed their formula, or offered another line of product since then.

I will look at my stash when I get home. My recall was that I have about enough to do a trunk. The sheets are about 12" x 24" but I'll measure when I get home. How does $5 a sheet suit you? I think I paid $10 a sheet. I still have the remaining pieces in the flat box it was shipped in. I figure shipping would be about $10. I also have some left over Heat shield insulation.

EDIT: I just checked damplifier site, a single new sheet goes for $7.50.

1970fastcat
May 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
sure, that sounds good, that way i can try it in a spot to see if i like it compared to dynamat since i have that too

Sunroof69
May 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
sure, that sounds good, that way i can try it in a spot to see if i like it compared to dynamat since i have that too

OK, I'm heading home in a few minutes. I'll PM you to let you know how many sheets I have, and you can PM me with your mailing address.

Thanks

JoeXR7F93C
May 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
The origional Dynamat was tar based, and a PIA to install, the newer "Dynamat Extreme" is butyl based I believe. Look at Stinger's "RoadKill" too, it's easier to install, a touch lighter, and I can't tell a difference in performance.

1970fastcat
May 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
overall i am looking to deaden the sound in my truck and see what i will like for the cougar, the truck it quite loud, just ask seand, he knows. I am thinking i will be doubling it up on the firewall and floor but am going to use the roof and doors for a test bed. The dynamat is butyl based, felt of it earlier, and honestly dont care if it is the brand dynamat if it performs as well, just trying to avoid spending 300 dollars on it if i can.

gonzoangel
May 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
what about that spray on deadner stuff they have at autozone/kragen/oreileys?
anyone ever use that?

gonzoangel
May 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
this stuff.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/product_images/img/dpl/uc102.jpg

restomodcougar
May 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM
This stuff is awsome and you can buy rubber granules to add in the mix to make it denser with better sound deadening properties!

http://www.alsliner.com

mcright
May 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I did a little research 'bout 5 or 6 months ago. I finally went with second skin audio (manufacturer of damplifier pro). supposedly has better adhesion in high temperature conditions, and just couldn't convince myself to go with dynamat. their website is www.secondskinaudio.com (http://www.secondskinaudio.com). yeah, it's kinda pricey, but figured i'd just be kicking myself down the road if i didn't go ahead and install it. It is butyl based, and sticks like all get out. I went ahead and used the open cell headliner foam that are reproduction. I'll use standard floor deadener on top. I still need to do the trunk.

1970fastcat
May 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM
yeah i think im going to go ahead and used the damlifier, the more i look around and compare it looks like the way to go. The specs are right there with dynamat and its cheaper, much. I will put it throughout my truck once i get it back home from paint, double it on the floor and firewall and then put the luxury liner pro on top when i do the carpet and see if i like it and then will probably use it in the cougar. I do like the looks of that bedliner stuff and may try that on my truck too, for the bed, but it looks like second skin is comming up with a bedliner material right now so i may wait on that

droptopcat70
May 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Mike,
i used the herculiner bed coating on my 01 rams bed and used it in my 80 restomods floor on top and bottom.And i am replacing the door skins and i`m going to coat the entire inside of the door shells as well as the door skins and then use a sound deadender on top of that to give it that solid closing sound.I even heard of someone using house insulation in their doors as well and supposedly there was no road noise and made the doors sound like closing a safe vault door..

thanks
pat