Mercury Cougar Owners banner

70 Eliminator - What is wrong?

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  DrCougar 
#1 ·
Even if this is a clone, with $3900 being over the reserve, this car seems to be underbid with 3 days to go. It looks like a pretty nice car and a convert to boot. No one who is a Cougar fan or who is knowledgeable would put Cougar and mustang in the same title - he did use a small "m" though. I like the car. What about you?
Ken
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...Cars_Trucks?hash=item27a88ef571#ht_691wt_1172

#2 ·
Love it...though I'm not crazy about all of these Eliminator "clones" I keep seeing.

I will be shocked if it goes for less than $7k, surprised if it sells for $7k-$9k, and mildly amused if it sells for 9k-12k.

#4 ·
I'm not sure he does know. If you look at his e-bay history he has never sold anything. He has 17 buys, all non car stuff. He calls the car a " Cougar mustang", and his writeup is amateurish. The car looks best from a distance. The insides are "tired", some dumb dumb cut holds in the door panels for speakers, the breather hole is open in the left valve cover, the radiator hose looks funny, the base of the distributor is painted blue (wrong shade of blue,I think) - I'm not sure if this is his work or not.

#5 ·
the gas cap cover plate is wrong - its off of a 69, the eliminators had the running cat on em I believe and something to me seems wrong with the eliminator script on the sides, a touch to low and in the wrong spot.

#14 · (Edited)
Also, shouldn't the rear deck spoiler have the striping and Eliminator script on it for '70? I thought the '69 had the blacked out top on it and the '70 was striped... sorry, guys, gotta add this one- And there is no "Caution Fan" sticker on the shroud! And, yeah, the Eliminator script should follow the top line of the marker lens, not the body line of the fender. Following the body line makes it slant upward toward the rear, and hence not look right (the script should be aligned to the red line in the attached image)... But the topper is that it has the woodgrain dash and not the correct and elusive black camera case dash.

Attachments

#6 ·
I wrote to ask how many miles since the rebuild (13k was the answer). I also told him that all Eliminators were hardtops. It appears that he chose not to put my statement in the correspondence section below. It's a nice car, too bad he's trying to hide the truth from some unsuspecting prospective buyers.

#7 ·
Even if this is a clone, with $3900 being over the reserve, this car seems to be underbid with 3 days to go. It looks like a pretty nice car and a convert to boot. No one who is a Cougar fan or who is knowledgeable would put Cougar and mustang in the same title - he did use a small "m" though. I like the car. What about you?
Ken
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...Cars_Trucks?hash=item27a88ef571#ht_691wt_1172
Ebay cars always bid up at the last second...Thats not to say the cars price wont jump alot but snipers (I am one of them) bid at the last second to sometimes get a better deal...I saw this and wish that the pictures were better cannot tell how much putty is on the car....Also am not sure it has a c6.....Love the color combo and I do have a hole in the garage.....:uhoh:

#10 ·
"Big block 351 big block.".....

Distributor housing and fuel supply line are both painted engine blue.....

#16 ·
Some people argue the earth is flat and that gravity isn't real.

Ford has engine families, rather than simplistic Big/Small block nomenclature that Chevy or Mopar use.
From flathead to Y-Block to MEL engines to FE to Windsor to 385 (460) series to 335 (cleveland/M), to Modular engines, Ford's V-8 engines tend to defy the simplistic big/small block descriptors.

The Cleveland block is actually dimensionally smaller than a 351W block and shares it's mounts, bore spacing, and bellhousing pattern. That's part of what makes this guy's statement so snicker-inducing. At no point is the Cleveland block "big" relative to what the same guy would call a "small block."

#17 ·
The Cleveland block is actually dimensionally smaller than a 351W block and shares it's mounts, bore spacing, and bellhousing pattern. That's part of what makes this guy's statement so snicker-inducing. At no point is the Cleveland block "big" relative to what the same guy would call a "small block."[/quote]

If you ever had to change the plugs in a Cleveland you would believe its a big block....:1poke::1poke:

#20 ·
I get people ask me about my vert and if it's an original Elimiator. I always say it's a clone and then find out that the asking party already knows that it's a clone but want to see how I answer. Hopefully this guy ain't playing dumb. I like the car but I don't like the wing nor that it sags in the rear.

#26 ·
Beware

I went and looked at this car. Unless you want a project, I would advise to stay away from it. Paint is the quality of Maaco, very very rough body work, lots of major chips and dull spots in paint, inside wheel wells had rust out, engine compartment looks terrible, convertible top needs replacing and he has no key for the trunk so who know what lurks in there. I think the original color was light green (under carpet). It runs fine, but I did not even want to drive it. In my opinion the current bid price is probably over what it is worth, but I tend to under value cars because I know what it takes to restore them.

#27 ·
I went and looked at this car. Unless you want a project, I would advise to stay away from it. Paint is the quality of Maaco, very very rough body work, lots of major chips and dull spots in paint, inside wheel wells had rust out, engine compartment looks terrible, convertible top needs replacing and he has no key for the trunk so who know what lurks in there. I think the original color was light green (under carpet). It runs fine, but I did not even want to drive it. In my opinion the current bid price is probably over what it is worth, but I tend to under value cars because I know what it takes to restore them.
He and the car are gone! His listing is gone and he has canceled his sign on to e-bay. You have this guys number?

thanks
Stu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.