Mercury Cougar Owners banner

'67 4 Speed 289 in Washington State

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mmmeat 
#1 · (Edited)
I went to see this Cat on Saturday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190302212304

I have to say, I have real mixed emotions about the car..but I told the seller that I'd post it and mention it. It suprised me in a couple of ways, but also reassured me too. It appears to be a very very original Car as far as the body goes. The motor has been rebuilt and done to almost Hot Rod specs. It runs very strong but we didnt' wind it up past 4k rpms. It screams at that level, though..

The Front Buckets have vinyl. Nicely done, though. The rest of the interior is nice, but not perfect.

The Trunk has been repainted at some poiint. There are a Lot of door dings and some scratches all over the body, with one rear quarter rusted "through" right behind the wheelhouse.

The Engine Bay has been repainted..medium quality job. The motor is paiinted the wrong color. The original Air Cleaner and snorkel go with the car..that is good!

The Shifter goes with the car. It looks nice. Also good.

The wheels may or may not be original..they look awfully nice to be original. Trim rings are knock off cheapies. The wheels just don't look right to me.

I dont' know how to feel about the car. I suppose for ME, I'd be happy with it at about 11k to 12K as I've been looking for a 4 speed ORIGINAL PAINT cat..and it's a great color combo. It just wasn't somethign I fell in love with immediately. It has a couple "dents" and wrinkles that indicate it might have had a front end collision at one point (ie reworked fender apron tops on Driver's side)

There isn't a Marti Report. He misplaced it, unfortunately. That would be nice to see, but it reads Traction Lock "A Axle" "5 Tras" Body "65b" Color "T" Trim "6a" date "30F" on the door plate.

It has a tilt wheel, no "tilt away", though, so probably aftermarket. It works, though, and looks nice.

The steering wheel center is very lightly cracked..looks very nice. The bezels on the instrument panel/dash are nice and clear. The XR-7 "wood" is very bright and clean..I'm talkign myself into liking this car!!

It's just a bit too radical/loud for me, but no big deal. I might change my mind, I dunno. Again, I must be too "heavy" on Cats or something, because i just can't fall in love with this car.. So I thought I'd try to help anybody here that might be interested.

I did comment to him that he could really use some bigger pics, more of them, and mention the seat covers and the imperfections..and the wheel rings, and the engine paint color maybe. And the engine bay paint. It is semi-gloss, bye the way.

If anybody has any other Qs, fire away.

PS Oh yeah, I did experience another great thing on Saturday while viewing the car. Another fellow called the owner while I was there, turned out he owned my G Car for 3 years in the past! At least I learned more about the G..including the fact that that the motor has been rebuilt a lot more recently than I thought, thanks to John Benoit?? John, is this true?

A great experience talking to Ray and just goin' on another "Cougar Hunt" overall..

See less See more
#2 ·
You are just used to seeing 68 wheels. The reason they look different is the large windows, they are in fact correct for 67. Did you notice the 1968 grille?

<table width="600"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="300"><center><table align="left"><tbody><tr><td><center>Click to enlarge</center></td></tr></tbody></table></center></td><td width="300">
</td></tr></tbody></table><map name="93d749f10e6d44df"><area shape="rect" coords="0,0,175,131" href="http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-11089400041767_2049_77889418"></map>

Description:
One year only offering in size 14 x 5 1/2". Total width is 6 1/2" with a 3 7/8" backspacing and a very small 1 13/16" center hole. Will not fit 1968 or newer Cougars equipped with disc brakes as the wheel will not fit over 1968 and up disc brake calipers. Will not fit 1967 Cougars that have been retrofitted with newer single piston disc brakes. Shipped bare without center cap or trim ring. Various conditions with minor blemishes but no cracks or peeling chrome. Subject to availability. Used "as is" wheel as taken from a parts car.
*NOTE* 1967 Cougar SS wheels are very prone to cracking in the corners of the windows. To address this issue Ford made the 1968 version with a smaller window. All of our reproduction SS wheels feature the smaller 1968 window and of course are designed to work with a 1967 disc brake system.

#3 ·
You are just used to seeing 68 wheels. The reason they look different is the large windows, they are in fact correct for 67. Did you notice the 1968 grille?

<TABLE width=600><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=300><CENTER><TABLE align=left><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>Click to enlarge</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width=300>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><MAP name=93d749f10e6d44df><AREA shape=RECT coords=0,0,175,131 href="http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-11089400041767_2049_77889418"></MAP>

Description:
One year only offering in size 14 x 5 1/2". Total width is 6 1/2" with a 3 7/8" backspacing and a very small 1 13/16" center hole. Will not fit 1968 or newer Cougars equipped with disc brakes as the wheel will not fit over 1968 and up disc brake calipers. Will not fit 1967 Cougars that have been retrofitted with newer single piston disc brakes. Shipped bare without center cap or trim ring. Various conditions with minor blemishes but no cracks or peeling chrome. Subject to availability. Used "as is" wheel as taken from a parts car.
*NOTE* 1967 Cougar SS wheels are very prone to cracking in the corners of the windows. To address this issue Ford made the 1968 version with a smaller window. All of our reproduction SS wheels feature the smaller 1968 window and of course are designed to work with a 1967 disc brake system.

Oh yeah..I know..in fact I used your site here to research the wheels, so I looked for the potential cracks! I just meant that I didn't know if these were THE original wheels for this car specifically..Did they paint the middles black in '67 Don?

I'm scratchin' my head on the grill..fill me in, will ya? Newbie still :)

#4 ·
Having the lug area color coded to the body color was an option for most of 1967 but my assumption is someone did that on their own.

This is a 67 grille...

This is a 68 grille, notice the reinforced area where the grille mounts to the center section?

<center> </center>

#5 ·
Lol, how do you even SEE that in that little pic?? Good eye..and good info!

B

#8 ·
#9 ·
Small block cars just don't feel like big block cars. Yes, I know about all of the extra weight in the front.... But there is more to it than that. Everything feels more substantial on a big block Cougar. And then there is the wonder of torque. There is also something to seeing wall to wall motor when you open the hood. The 289 looks tiny in comparison (explains why it fits in everything from a Cobra to a Miata). And yes, the small block cars can out corner the big blocks.... but so will a Camry. I would say that if you don't fall in love with the car when you drive it, you might as well keep looking.

On the other hand...It's 4 speed XR7 with posi, disc's, and tilt away (the away feature requires everything in working order, the tilt always works) console no vinyl top, and a decent interior... ARE YOU NUTS? Get out that check book, you will be kicking your self for ages if this one gets past you.

#11 ·
Small block cars just don't feel like big block cars. Yes, I know about all of the extra weight in the front.... But there is more to it than that. Everything feels more substantial on a big block Cougar. And then there is the wonder of torque. There is also something to seeing wall to wall motor when you open the hood. The 289 looks tiny in comparison (explains why it fits in everything from a Cobra to a Miata). And yes, the small block cars can out corner the big blocks.... but so will a Camry. I would say that if you don't fall in love with the car when you drive it, you might as well keep looking.

On the other hand...It's 4 speed XR7 with posi, disc's, and tilt away (the away feature requires everything in working order, the tilt always works) console no vinyl top, and a decent interior... ARE YOU NUTS? Get out that check book, you will be kicking your self for ages if this one gets past you.

He he..thanks a LOT, Bill..that's the kind of roller coaster ride I've been on just thinking about it.

Actually, I had the problem with the "love factor" from the outside of the car more than the inside. Very strange. I enjoyed the drive, but it was almost "already ruined" for me earlier. I honestly think the problem for me is that I'm full-up on Cats and didn't realize it until I stared this proposition square in the (68) Grille!

We'll see..the car will most likely not hit reserve, a couple calls will be made, it'll go back on Ebay in a couple of weeks, etc..etc..

#10 ·
Funny

I was going to PM Brian for the inside info he got from you, Don!

Sorry it didn't turn out just a tad more original, Brian.

Ah heck, you don't wanna drive an old 60's car anyways if you have another daily beater beemer:toung: :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.