Two Speed Rear End?? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Two Speed Rear End??

mikey1968
January 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Can't remember if I asked this a while back here. Does anyone have any tech info (manual, brochure, articles, web site, etc) on a rare two speed rear gear option (or mod, maybe)?

Thanks,
Mikey

Mercougar67
January 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
What do you want to know? I currently have a Hone-o-drive unit in a 67 Mustang Fastback. They are cool beyond belief. I have the complete unit that has 3:50 and 4:30 gears. The speedo cable plugs into the "coffee can" 3rd member so you always have correct MPH readings. There's a cool article featuring one in the King Cobra on the Torinocobra website http://torinocobra.com/ All of the units have consecutive serial numbers on them. I've only seen one other unit in 25 years of dragging my knuckes through muddy junkyards. Tell me you have another one!

Royce Peterson
January 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
There was never a factory optional two speed rear. Car Craft did an article on an experimental Dana two speed rear in a '69 Eliminator, but Ford never made any more and neither did Dana.

The Hone - O - Drive units were sort of popular in the 1970's and showed up more in light duty Winnebago type motor homes than they did in cars. They would sell like hot cakes if someone would make them today.

Can't remember if I asked this a while back here. Does anyone have any tech info (manual, brochure, articles, web site, etc) on a rare two speed rear gear option (or mod, maybe)?

Thanks,
Mikey

cj750
January 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The two-speed "Streep" (Street/Strip) rear axle never made it to option status.
It made its appearance in the prototype Eliminator (actually a dressed-up XR-7) shown to the press in late '68. The rear was a unique Dana-Spicer unit, not a conversion of a Nine Inch or other production Ford/Mercury rear axle. It was shifted via mechanical linkage from a lever in the console. According to the magazine articles, the prototype required the car to be stationary to switch ratios, but production units were expected to allow shift on the fly.
Despite the great fanfare with which it was revealed, and much favorable press attention, the Streep axle never made it to production. Whether due to durability issues, cost, not-invented-here syndrome or some combination of factors has never been revealed, that I know of.
Pity, as besides being a really cool Mercury "first", it would have been great technology for the car companies to have available a few years later when the oil crisis hit. Being able to offer an economy gear ratio while maintaining the potential for performance-on-demand might have allowed the domestic manufacturers to retain some sales that were lost to sporty yet efficient foreign competition.
The Hone-O-Drive is really cool, but was purely an aftermarket accessory, and a completely different animal than the Streep axle.

Jay

snakepit
January 8th, 2007, 04:58 PM
The Hone-O-Drive is really cool, but was purely an aftermarket accessory, and a completely different animal than the Streep axle.

Jay

"but was purely an aftermarket accessory" well sort of . They were an option during 66 in Shelbys though almost no one ordered it there were a few ads showing them as available. As Royce mentioned that were more often found in commerical applications. The one I currently have was from a 2 ton truck.

Have found a small number as dealer installed in high geared Boss 429's. Having had one of these cars I can understand the interest in having something that would allow you to travel at highway speeds of the 60-70's

Two versions were made. One for Ford that replaced the pinion gear on the front of the third member the other was a stand along type that required a drive line in and a drive line out.

mikey1968
January 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
No, I don't have one I am just interested in articles, tech info and general knowledge. This is thread definitely helping. Anyone have a scanned in copy of that Cougar article?

Mercougar67
January 9th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Photos anyone? I have it in a slightly narrowed 9" rear end and fitted with Strange half shafts. It shifts not by a button on the dash, but by a lever/rod mechanism that mounts in the floor in front of the driver's seat adjustment lever. The mechanism pulls/pushes a plunger on the side of the unit that switches the gears. There are three locations in the "plunger" They are 3:50, neutral and 4:30. I've not yet had it on the road. That day is coming. I, too would be interested in a factory manual or sales literature. I'll make a point to have it ready to go for my Burn Out Bash this summer. It's powered by a ported and polished 289 and 4 speed top loader. I guess it's an 8 speed now.

Mercougar67
January 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330073593261

That didn't take much looking. Gimmee six more days.

dfwcatsclub
January 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I used to have a 4.11/2.75 setup in my '70. Was cool til I yanked it out.

They call them AODs. :)

mikey1968
January 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330073593261

That didn't take much looking. Gimmee six more days.

Cool! Good luck!

jared1970
January 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM
There is a company that makes an overdrive unit that hooks up to the tailshaft of the tranny. Sort of like the two speed rear end. I think the company's name is Gear Vendors.

snakepit
January 14th, 2007, 01:52 AM
There is a company that makes an overdrive unit that hooks up to the tailshaft of the tranny.....I think the company's name is Gear Vendors.

Yep installed only one autos (hone-o-drive could be used with either)

Had a Gear Vendor on a F560 I use to have. Not sure how well they fit in a passenger vehicle's transmission tunnel

bnickel
January 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
i would love to get my hands on one of the 9" pinion mount hone o drive units. i really like old tech stuff like that.

Mercougar67
January 29th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have, in my hands, the Hone-O-Drive model 300 manual from the above listed e-bay auction. There's a cool artcle about the company from a May 1974 Hot Rod feature. Send me a SASE to Ray Bischoff / 845 Valley View / South Lyon, MI and I'll forward you a copy. Put two stamps on it.....there're quite a few pages. Make reference to Hone-o-Drive somewhere.

snakepit
January 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks... since I've got one in a car I'll send you a note. Think I've got a copy of an article already might be the same or maybe not.

Thanks again for the offer

Jim Pinkerton
January 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Ray -- a fellow in the Cascade Cougar Club has a hone-o-drive rear end in his restomod '67 -- works very well indeed. If you need to discuss it with him send me a PM and I'll get you his contact information.

Mercougar67
January 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Jim, I'll call ya tonight after the kids are snoozed....THANKS

nicholls77
April 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yep installed only one autos (hone-o-drive could be used with either)

Had a Gear Vendor on a F560 I use to have. Not sure how well they fit in a passenger vehicle's transmission tunnel

I put a Gear Vendor Overdrive on the back of my C-4 in my 67 cougar. Bolted right in. About the only clearance issue I would comment on is the speedo cable ends up making a sharper than I would like bend to clear the tunnel.

cougarshaman
April 9th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I remember seeing the Hone-O-Drive advertised for sale way back in the 80's in Mustang Monthly. Even then, they were $800 from (I think) Perogie Ent..
Very cool pics on this thread.

The Gear Vendors guys make a unit for street cars and hot rods that works very well if you have an automatic.

Royce is right, if someone made these today, they'd sell like beer at a chili cookoff.

snakepit
April 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
If it was in the 80's and from them it was old stock. Thnk they stopped production in the early 70's

yeloxr7
April 10th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Nothing new. Remember back in the 30's some Fords had a Columbia 2-speed rear axle.

snakepit
April 10th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Similar.... had those also. Shifted with vacuum rather than the linkage for the Hone-O-Drive

dsmurl
April 10th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Here is one for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hone-O-Drive-Hone-Overdrive-Transmission_W0QQitemZ330106628171QQihZ014QQcategoryZ34208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- Sam

snakepit
April 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Yes that is the non- Ford style (could be used on big Ford trucks with long or two piece drivelines

Mercougar67
April 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I don't think Yenko or any others used overdrives....they were using the 2 speed rears. I have an original dash sticker for the Model 300 overdrive unit as well as a copy of the owner's/installation manual if anyone wants to reproduce it or just wants a copy.

snakepit
April 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I don't think Yenko or any others used overdrives....they were using the 2 speed rears. I have an original dash sticker for the Model 300 overdrive unit as well as a copy of the owner's/installation manual if anyone wants to reproduce it or just wants a copy.

What two speed rear end?? None of the commericals will fit. Seen dealer installed Hone-O-Drives listed on Yenko and Motion car invoices

Would be interested in seeing a scan of the decal.

Mercougar67
April 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
What two speed rear end?? None of the commericals will fit. Seen dealer installed Hone-O-Drives listed on Yenko and Motion car invoices

Would be interested in seeing a scan of the decal.
Read from the beginning of the thread! See my attached photos!

bnickel
April 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Read from the beginning of the thread! See my attached photos!

the 2 speed rearend you posted is a hone-o-drive overdrive unit, theyu had 2 versions the one you posted pics of that mounts to the pinion of a 9" ford rearend and the other type mounts inline between the trans and rearend, it's the same basic unit with a different tailshaft. and it is still an overdrive unit. the inline version is what was used on yenko and notion cars.

the one in the ebay link is the yenko/motion style

bnickel
March 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
well guys i just got my 9" mounted hone-o-drive unit in yesterday, very cool piece of old "speed" equipment. Mercougar67 if you still have all that info i would definitely like to get a copy from you. just need to know if the address you posted is still the same. i have some pics i can post if anyone is interested. the pics i have i got from the the guy i bought it from, if anyone is interested i can post them up.

Mercougar67
March 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM
well guys i just got my 9" mounted hone-o-drive unit in yesterday, very cool piece of old "speed" equipment. Mercougar67 if you still have all that info i would definitely like to get a copy from you. just need to know if the address you posted is still the same. i have some pics i can post if anyone is interested. the pics i have i got from the the guy i bought it from, if anyone is interested i can post them up.

YES PLEASE POST! I love this sort of stuff. Did you get a picture/proceedure for mounting the shifter, too? I've recently seen the 69 Mach 1 that raced at Bonneville Salt Flats with a H-O-D unit installed. He had the shifter mounted along the drive shaft hump on the driver's side, a few inches to the rear of the trans shifter opening on top of the hump. I do not have the original shifter knob for the lever and would love to see a picture of an original.

My address is the same as before.

bnickel
March 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
YES PLEASE POST! I love this sort of stuff. Did you get a picture/proceedure for mounting the shifter, too? I've recently seen the 69 Mach 1 that raced at Bonneville Salt Flats with a H-O-D unit installed. He had the shifter mounted along the drive shaft hump on the driver's side, a few inches to the rear of the trans shifter opening on top of the hump. I do not have the original shifter knob for the lever and would love to see a picture of an original.

My address is the same as before.

well unfortunately all i got was the Hone unit itself, none of the shift linkage was included, which is why i would like to see the info you have. if i can see that info then maybe i can determine what kind of shifter i need. i've really been playing with the idea of mounting the shifter like the 69 "Streeper" Elminator, in the console, and using a repro shelby console top. i'd mount the shifter where the ashtray in the shelby console would normally be and use the console switches for foglights and cruise control on/off switch or something and still have the seatbelt holders for one of the cruiser console cupholders. then again i may just mount it on the side of the tunnel like normal. i'll get the envelope out to you sometime in the next week or so.

bnickel
March 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
i have a small pic of an original shifter from an ad if that will help you, BTW.

bnickel
March 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
forgot to add the pic.....duh.

1969XR7Vert
March 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
bnickel,

What'd the HOD set you back? (i.e. $$)

Mercougar67
March 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I can fix you up with pics, copies and a drawing of my shifter rod and lever. Mine is installed in a 67 Fastback.

bnickel
March 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
bnickel,

What'd the HOD set you back? (i.e. $$)

i got it from a guy who knew what it was and what is worth, that said he wanted it to go to HOD enthusiast so he mwade me a deal on it, plus he held onto it for a year for me....$400 shipped. not a smokin' deal but not a bad deal either. i've seen these thing go for upwards of $1000 and sometimes in the $2500 range. still cheaper than an AOD or a gear vendors

1969XR7Vert
March 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hey, $400 is a great deal in my book, especially given what it can do for a setup. He held onto it for you for a year and gave it to you for $400? Sounds like a real good deal, at least to me!

bnickel
March 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hey, $400 is a great deal in my book, especially given what it can do for a setup. He held onto it for you for a year and gave it to you for $400? Sounds like a real good deal, at least to me!

oh yeah, i thought it was a great deal as well, just every time i came with some extra cash something would happen and it would have to go to something else for instance my dog got real sick and i had to pay the vet, all the tests and the meds and it cost me about twice what i paid for the hone unit, then other stuff around christmas and then my wife didn't get a comission check for almost 6 months, etc, etc. at one point he had lowered the price to $250 for me but i still couldn't even swing that at the time, that's why i said it wasn't a great deal. i'm really glad he held onto it for me though, i've been wanting one since i found out about them back in the late 80's. a guy i worked with had a 69 torino GT in high school that had one of them and he was always telling me war stories about it and the car and all the street racing he used to do with it.

FFR428
March 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Wow even at $450 that's a great deal. Last one I saw for sale a few years ago was like $2k. Congrats that's a very cool item. Please keep us updated with pics when it goes in. I'd love to have one myself.

cougar2
March 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of G-Force that is here on mc.net.

archangel
November 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I have, in my hands, the Hone-O-Drive model 300 manual from the above listed e-bay auction. There's a cool artcle about the company from a May 1974 Hot Rod feature. Send me a SASE to Ray Bischoff / 845 Valley View / South Lyon, MI and I'll forward you a copy. Put two stamps on it.....there're quite a few pages. Make reference to Hone-o-Drive somewhere.

I saw a Cougar brochure 15 to 20 years ago that said they were offered with the option of a 2 speed rear end, and have had no luck finding one, the article, or any related info until just the other day.

Now the search is over as the Hone O Drive is what I saw in the picture.

Is the offer still available?

Also, would you happen to have any pictures of the unit torn apart, or a rebuild manual?

Royce Peterson
November 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Your search continues. The Cougar was never offered with a Hone - O Drive or any other two speed rear axle.

There was a magazine article on the Eliminator prototype which had a Dana two speed "Streep" rear axle. It was one of one. There was no brochure, and it was never an option.

The Dana is not a Hone - O Drive, which was a popular accesory in motor homes with 9" Ford rear axles.

I saw a Cougar brochure 15 to 20 years ago that said they were offered with the option of a 2 speed rear end, and have had no luck finding one, the article, or any related info until just the other day.

Now the search is over as the Hone O Drive is what I saw in the picture.

Is the offer still available?

Also, would you happen to have any pictures of the unit torn apart, or a rebuild manual?

archangel
November 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Your search continues. The Cougar was never offered with a Hone - O Drive or any other two speed rear axle.

There was a magazine article on the Eliminator prototype which had a Dana two speed "Streep" rear axle. It was one of one. There was no brochure, and it was never an option.

The Dana is not a Hone O Drive, which was a popular accesory in motor homes with 9" Ford rear axles.

It may not have been a factory brochure.
It could have been a dealer offering it.
But when I saw the picture of the unit that becomes a part of the 9" rear pinion, that is without a doubt the unit I saw!

Either way, it fits the bill for what I am looking for.

Cougar_is_Grr8
November 30th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Do you have to use this only on an automatic or could you use it with a stick?

Sort of a daily driver/ speed racer switch?

68PUMA
November 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Do you have to use this only on an automatic or could you use it with a stick?

Sort of a daily driver/ speed racer switch?
The one used on G-Force is hooked up to a manual transmission. See post #40 for pictures. :grin34:

Don Rush
December 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM
Here is some more info...

http://www.stangerssite.com/honeodrive.html

cougarman187
December 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
WHAT! This is amazing. I just stumbled upon this thread. Why in the world is this not being produced right now? I would totally buy one. This is what I get for being young, I never knew they made these back in the day!

Cougar_is_Grr8
December 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
I wonder who has the patent for the Hone-O-Drive and if Don would make em. (cough cough, hint hint)

Mercougar67
December 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
The one in my Fastback is a model 200 which is, apparently, made to fit the 9". My shifter plunger appears to be a bit different than the one pictured.