Intro + 93 Coug Problems [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Intro + 93 Coug Problems

Razoreye
August 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hey everyone! I signed up to resolve some simple problems with my 93 Cougar. After I signed up I noticed this forum is pretty dedicated to the classic run in this line but I figured most of you would be knowledgeable enough to lend your expertise to help me.

First: My driver side window quit on me. I've determined it is not a fuse, switch, or wiring problem. Since I don't hear any noises being emitted from the motor I can only assume that is what died on me. Anyways, I removed the three bolts that I can visibly see and the motor won't come out. My brother suggested that I may have to drill to remove some rivets; I come to you all to see how to get the motor out. Should be a simple enough fix, no?

Secondly: My A/C is nice and cold but dies when I accelerate (no matter the current speed I'm at) or going uphill (again acceleration.) It's less likely to fail going downhill as I believe less power is drawn. Anyways, I'm thinking that is a simple cracked hose/vacuum leak. Anyway to diagnose that without a mechanic?

That's it. Thanks for taking your time to help a fellow Cougar owner out!

-Razoreye

Double E
August 4th, 2006, 08:33 AM
It sounds like the motor is still engaged to the gear it is supposed to drive or there is another bolt.

It is a replaceable item (as a rule) so there's something still holding it and I do not think it is a rivet or somethig that requires destruction/drilling. (Like any rule, there are exceptions.)

I agree that it is the motor though. You could test it by getting a volt/ohm meter & seeing if there is continuity across the wires that power it. Test both the volt signal from the switch as you activate it and the continuity of the motor's wires. This will tell you what's wrong.

The next thing to do after the ohm test is to go get the new motor (go to Ford & ask to see a new one) or buy the new one from a parts place for less, so that you can see all of the mounting points and look for where your missing bolt sits.

The a/c thing could be as simple as a belt loose. I would start there. Good luck.

Local Hero
August 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I'm not as "up" on the newer cars. But I'm pretty sure their A/C compressors are designed to cut out under acceleration so that there is not as much power loss to the engine when it needs it. Perhaps the solenoid or switch or whatever triggers that function is getting faulty and it cuts the compressor prematurely. It should be a pretty simple diagnosis for a "real" mechanic.

Oh, and welcome to the gang. Good Luck with the power window too. Sorry, I can't help you there.

texrep
August 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Going from memory here, but I believe in the 70s and 80s to replace the motor you had to drill out a 1 inch? hole to access a bolt that was inaccessable. The spot to drill was marked on the door by a dimple in the metal. I seem to remember seeing mechanics at the dealership where I worked doing this when they had to replace a window motor... course it was the 70s at it's all a little fuzzy these days LOL

Razoreye
August 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks fellas.

I am not really so worried about the A/C as I just leave the windows down all the time. You can imagine what happens on a 100 degree day when one window fails and the A/C sucks, haha.

Anyways, there is one spot on the door that looks like the dimple as the last poster suggested. I have nothing to lose so I will cut out that small area to see if I can access it. If that fails then I'll just use the other suggestions.

:sun: