question:ford hipo k-code headers.. [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: question:ford hipo k-code headers..

6cougar8
May 4th, 2004, 05:57 PM
will the ford hipo headers fit onto my 68 cougar 302 j code? i have auto and powersteering..i ve heard about the problems of installing headrs but would the k code or any ford hipo headers eliminate the problems?please tell me if i could purchase the ford high performance headers from a ford k code and put them in a j code cougar ...

hotrodr692004
May 4th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Hi......I believe that you can. From what I understand, the Mustang and the Cougar share the same underpinnings. I have heard that a power steering drop bracket is required. I know that Mustangs Unlimited has them. Good Luck!:burnout:

Royce Peterson
May 4th, 2004, 10:00 PM
They fit great and are very easy to install. No need to remove the starter, jack the engine or anything. Really a cake walk.

6cougar8
May 5th, 2004, 03:01 AM
if i have a muffler shop do it would they run into some power steering adjustments or since they are ford headers they just bolt on with no custom or bracket adjustments?

cougar289_1967
May 5th, 2004, 03:16 AM
if i have a muffler shop do it would they run into some power steering adjustments or since they are ford headers they just bolt on with no custom or bracket adjustments?
i have K-code headers on my 67 C code and they fit in with no ajustments of anything...they go up through the bottom and drop through the bottom as well...really easily

CougarCJ
May 5th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Question from me for my application.

Are y'all talking about the K-code cast iron exhaust manifolds or the Tri-Y headers for the K code?

Since the HiPo K-code 289 engine was an option on 1967 Mustangs, my guess is that it likewise fits Cougars for 1967-8? I want to use the stock reproduction cast iron K code exhaust manifolds on my 1968 J code XR7, soon to have 5 speed.:confused:

greggieatthebat
May 5th, 2004, 09:35 AM
6cougar8 and I had a bit of discussion off-site about headers (and my experiences with them) and I recommended that he consider the K-code manifolds (which flow much better than our stock 302 manifolds)... I hadn't thought about the Tri-Ys!

My experience with headers is that they're great, but may not be worth the hassle in milder configurations (like mine...) All said and done, I think I'd rather have either the K-code manifolds or the Tri-Y headers than the Hookers that I do have, but... as 6cougar8 can attest, that's a long story :)

Neal_DePape
May 5th, 2004, 09:58 AM
The K-code manifolds will fit very well as everybody has said. On top of that they fit the GT40P head very well with no spark plug fitment issues. So that makes for a nice inexpensive combo on a 289, 302 or 351.

greggieatthebat
May 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM
The K-code manifolds will fit very well as everybody has said. On top of that they fit the GT40P head very well with no spark plug fitment issues. So that makes for a nice inexpensive combo on a 289, 302 or 351.
6cougar8, this is exactly what I was speculating when you asked about heads. This is probably the best combo for your current plans. In fact, this may be my combo if when I pull my heads I find that one of them is cracked...
:dogpile:

old wood
May 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM
How would the Ford headers compare to after market headers for making power?

Royce Peterson
May 5th, 2004, 11:57 AM
My reply was with reference to the original question about headers. I am referring specifically to headers made to replicate those used on 289 hi performance '65 - 66 Shelby Mustangs. I have purchased them from Tony Branda (http://www.cobranda.com) and Dallas Mustang (http://www.dallasmustangparts.com) and both sets were excellent in fit and finish. They also fit fine on a couple 351W swaps in '67 - 68 Cougars.

These headers will require a drop bracket for PS equipped cars unless you don't mind the accordian boot melting. You will have to be sure the strap securing the PS hoses to the driver side shock tower is in place to prevent the hose from contacting the #5 cylinder tube. This applies to stock exhaust manifolds also. Also pay attention to the hoses where the hard line extends upwards from the control valve next to the engine block, this needs to have the stock metal wrap in place. Some of the reproduction hoses are improperly bent in this area and have cheesey plastic anti chafe wrap that quickly fails.

Neal_DePape
May 5th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Neither the Kcode manifolds nor the tri-y headers will make as much peak power as a good set of equal length long tube headers. For a daily driver looking for midrange power and torque, I doubt you'd lose enough to put up with the hassles of long tubes.
Another option would be a set of short tube headers, in fact I would run those before I would put in the tri-ys.

cougar289_1967
May 5th, 2004, 02:33 PM
hmmm.....manifolds..what are mine then? i have come to the conclusion they were factory headers...but what do you guys think?

yeloxr7
May 5th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Those are what we call long-tube aftermarket headers. If you have power steering you will have to get the power ram extender bracket at the very least.

OOOO! Collector-mount glasspacks!!!!!

cougar289_1967
May 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM
i had power assist...these were already on my car when i got em...yes that was my whole exhaust, headers with glasspacks bolted on......i talked to a ford guy and he said those were factory headers..but ive never seen factory headers before so i wouldnt know...i just was planning on selling them to someone if they wanted em, i have to make custom ones for my turbo

Neal_DePape
May 5th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I don't think Ford ever made a factory long tube header. I think some of the newer 302s and mod motors got shorty headers from the factory but never long tubes.

cougar289_1967
May 5th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I don't think Ford ever made a factory long tube header. I think some of the newer 302s and mod motors got shorty headers from the factory but never long tubes.
well then, maybe if i try to sell em they are worth something to someone....cuz they made noticable gain on my 289